lyman 1500 XP problems

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Big Chevy, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Big Chevy

Big Chevy Member

so I just bought this lyman 1500 XP scale off of Craigslist,it looks brand new still has all the plastic stickers on it but when I plug it in the numbers move all around,and when I touch the side of it the numbers change. I let it warm up for a half hour, I have no electronics around it, I have just 1 CFL lamp for light, no fan, I have put it on different outlets, nothing helps. just wondering if anyone has seen anything like this.
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

it sounds like a bad scale, have you called Lyman yet? are you able to get it in to calibrate mode?
  3. Big Chevy

Big Chevy Member

I got it to one time but it was off by a little bit. I shut it off and turned it back on and I'm back to square 1.
  4. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

From Lyman's website...

Below are some helpful troubleshooting hints for getting the most out of your 1000XP or 1500XP Electronic Scale:

Be sure to use the adapter supplied with the scale.
    1000XP 110V Adapter; R3W012-200
    1000XP 230V Adapter; R3W012-200G
    1500XP 110V Adapter; A20930N or R3W009-200
    1500XP 230V Adapter; A20930G

Occasionally wipe the unit’s exterior and over the scale platform with a used non static dryer sheet such as Bounce or ClingFree to inhibit static electricity.

Fluorescent lights, portable and cellular phones and other electronic scales and appliances can cause erratic readings. This includes proximity to furnaces and air conditioners.

Keep out of drafts.

Always allow the unit to stabilize for 24 hours if it has been in storage or out of service for a while.

I'll take a balance beam any day, no worries about "erratic reading" from things that surround us. No need to allow 24 hours for them to stabilize. I bought one years ago and soon switched back to the "old school" method of weighing powder. To me it's crazy to use a device to weigh gun powder when the manufacture tells you it can give erratic readings. I want to know the powder weight is not erratic.
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  5. Big Chevy

Big Chevy Member

I agree with ya, Thanks for the info.