Lyman 310 Tong Tool

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Gunfyter, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Gunfyter

Gunfyter New Member

I'm off from work on medical leave and have plenty of time on my hands, so I'm playimg with a Lyman 310 tong tool to load .45 Colt ammo. The directions on setting up the dies are a little on the vague side when it comes to how far the dies are screwed into the handle. On my single stage RCBS press, the resize die is screwed into the press so that almost the full case goes into the die. TheLyman says to screw it in just far enough to resize the case mouth. So, how far enough is enough? If I set the Lyman at the same depth as the RCBS, I don't know if I can get the case out of the handle or not. Anybody have one of these who is willing to pass on some knowledge? TIA

:confused:
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Gunfyter, Place a bullet alongside the case mouth. Measure down to where it will reside in the case and add about a tenth of an inch or a little more. You do not want to put this into the die all the way. This, in general rifle reloading terms is called "neck sizing". This way you will have tension on the bullet to hold it in the case.

GunGuy should be around shortly. He is a Lyman Tong Tool nut. There are also more topics on these in here and if I remember right, Jim may have posted a copy of the instructions here. Search down this forum a bit.

This will get you a copy of the instructions for $7.00

Lyman 310 Instructions

Hope this helps.
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2004
  3. Gunguy

Gunguy Guest

Gunfyter, send me a private message on our PM thread with your name and address.

Will mail you an exact photo copy of Lyman 310 die loading instructions.

Don't need your real name, just an address to mail it to.

Don't be afraid, I'm a staff member here so I'm only gonna mail you the instructions not puke in your computer. No charge.

Jim :D