Lyman 55 Powder Measure on a Lee Turret Press....???

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by sstephenson, May 1, 2010.

1. sstephenson

sstephenson New Member

I purchased a Lyman 55 powder measure to go on my buddy's Lee 4-position turret press with a powder-through die. Unfortunately I found out that the threads on the Lyman 55 aren't compatible with those on the top of the Lee powder-through die, despite the fact that it says that it fits most turret presses (it will with an included adapter if you happen to have a free die position, but I don't have that luxury). Has anyone successfully mounted a Lyman 55 on the Lee turret press?

I'm also using a Lee primer feeder, and I'm concerned that even if I can mount the Lyman 55 on top of the Lee powder-through die that it won't clear the primer feeder when the turret rotates.

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If anyone is successfully using another powder measure (that they think highly of) on the Lee unit, I'd love to hear about that too, particularly if it auto feeds when the press is engaged (the manual dispense on the Lyman 55 is fine, but an auto-dispense would be great). I'd hate to return the 55, but I need something that'll work! Thanks!

Steve
    Last edited: May 2, 2010
  2. flintlock

flintlock Well-Known Member

There is, or used to be, an adapter die to fit the Lyman powder measure to standard 7/8-14 threaded presses. Check Midway, or Lyman themselves.
  3. sstephenson

sstephenson New Member

Yes, the Lyman 55 does come with that adapter, but the four holes in the turret are already occupied. I need an adapter that would allow me to mount it on top of the Lee powder-through expander die. Thanks.
  4. DenverUSMC

DenverUSMC New Member

I dont know if this will help but, the LEE DISK powder measure comes with an adapter that alows it mount on top of the expander die. This adapter might work for your Lyman but I am not 100% they can be had through midway I believe.

USMC
  5. sstephenson

sstephenson New Member

Thanks DenverUSMC. I'll definitely check into it.