Lyman Press

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by kimber guy, Jan 15, 2004.

1. kimber guy

kimber guy New Member

Hey Guys, Anyone have an opion on the Lyman Turret press ?:confused
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Hi KG, welcome to TFF. Glad to see ya jump right in here an post. Hope to see a lot of y'all around here. I'm sure our resident Lyman expert will chime right in and give his opinion. Right now it be a little cold up where he is so I would wait for his joints to thaw a little.

GG, what say you, my friend? :D :D :D :D
  3. frosty

frosty New Member

Welcome to the TFF Kimber Guy.

As per Plano the resident Lyman expert will be along shortly.

I have a RCBS rockchucker and I love it.

Keep posting and we will try to help each other out. The TFF has alot of good people with a huge amount of know how and where to that cannot be beat. Again Welcome to the forum.
  4. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Glad to see you, KG.

We all trust you will join in the fun and festivities. Just jump right in, grab a stump and you'll reap the benefits. You will find that we have a very congenial bunch of folks and that the collective knowledge about guns, shooting and all other related subjects is second to none elsewhere.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2004
  5. Gunguy

Gunguy Guest

OK, ok...you smarty pants dudes, expert indeed.

Me no expert but have first hand valid opinion.

This from latest model Lyman Crusher II, terrible engineering on this one, linkage loose as a goose laterally and if you try to swage bullets with it as there booklet says you can you will eventually break the ram pin on the piston as it is only 3/8 of an inch in diameter.

The Lyman turret (big latest model) not so hot from what I hear from some others, complaints of binding at top and bottom of ram stroke.

If you want an excellent turret press look into the Redding T-7, it is built like a brick outhouse...very classey chassey and strong.

This is money well spent, go for it.

This from a guy who has two antique Lyman Tru-line Jr. turret presses on his loading desk. These were made probably 50 years ago, but are not very strong. They do serve a purpose for me in loading small calibers from 9 mm up to .44 special.

Now, some guys claim the older Lyman Orange Crusher II press was made with a better tighter linkage system...I don't know this for sure but you can check it out.

Good luck in whatever you decide to buy.

Jim :)
  6. bompa

bompa New Member

No expert also but I am on my second Lyman T Mag press.. The first one, after about twenty years,broke the bolt that holds the turret head on..Darn thing was locktited in and was not aware of that fact and messed up the threads trying to remove broken part in the press body.. Got a new model and have had no problems at all..I like the press,not as fast as a progressive but when you load seven pistol calibers and a few rifles the turret makes sense..To me anyway..
  7. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

RCBS rock chucker. Bought in 1976, still reloading with it today. Nuff said!
  8. bompa

bompa New Member

Got a rock chucker in storage..It was my second press..Lyman turret was the third and final..