Lyman turrent press problems.

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by green river, Jun 18, 2009.

1. green river

green river New Member

I have been reloading with a Lyman turrent press for about 20 years. I bought it new and since I have owned it, it has had slop in the turrent. It especialy a problem while sizing rifle cases, if I don't jam a metal shim in the crack between the turrent and the support tab the shell holder will never touch the die causing the cartriges to be to tight in the chamber. If I run the die down further to make up for the slop the shell holder and die are not square, you can see light on one side and none on the other. I sent a message to Lyman recently reported my problem and they said it was in fact a problem with these presses and they had no fix it. Well...I know there must be a fix and I already have some ideas, just wanted to know if you guys have the same problem and what you did about it.

Thanks for your time!
    David
  2. Haligan

Haligan Well-Known Member

I think I have the same press that you are describing. I've noticed what you describe and it's never been a problem. Bolt action, semi auto handguns, everything.

Mabe get a single stage press you could use only for sizing.
  3. green river

green river New Member

Do you run your die down extra far to take up the extra slop?
  4. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

Both of my Lyman turret presses have a screw behind the turret to lock it in place. This removes any slop or flex of the turret. I have had no problems with these presses, regardless of what I'm loading at the time. When properly used, this press will turn out near perfect ammo. I have more variation in the dies than I do in the press.
  5. 220combat

220combat New Member

I am reloading on a Lyman T-Mag and a Lyman All American. Both press are rock solid. Does your press use a washer under the turret? If so, maybe you need a thimmer washer to lower the turret closer to the support.
  6. green river

green river New Member

My press has no washer under it, there is a ball detent under there for indexing. There is no lock down screw either. If I had the right size sholder bolt shim I may be able to shim the top to hold it down tighter. I'll try tp post a picture later.
  7. green river

green river New Member

Sorry for the dirty press, it's been a while since I used it. Notice the shim in the rear support area. This press is anything but rock solid.

Attached Files:

8. Haligan

Haligan Well-Known Member

nope mine is different.
    Mabe get a new press. I hate spending money when I don't need to but it looks like this one is causing you more aggrivation then it is worth.
  9. 220combat

220combat New Member

You can't tighten the nut in the center of the turret shaft enough to take the play out of it? If you watch the ball when you tighten the turret down, you can see the ball almost dissappear up into the underside of the turret. It indexes tight, but there is no flex.
  10. green river

green river New Member

That is no nut, it's a quick change stud so the turrent can be removed quickly, trust me it's pretty cheezy! I'll take it off tomorrow and take another picture.
  11. green river

green river New Member

Here is another look. I noticed some of these presses has an adjustable support post, this one don't.:confused:

Attached Files:

12. 220combat

220combat New Member

That is the same turret as my T-Mag, but the press is different. My father in law has that one, and his is not quick change. What about welding a small amount of material on the support, then grinding it down until you have just a few thousands between the turret and the support? It is cast, so you would have to know what you are doing to weld it.

Edit: I guess I didn't look that close, it is the same press as mine. But like I said, mine is not quick change.
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2009
  13. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

An alternative that could be done on a lathe might be to machine either the hold down devices or the underside of the rotating head (just in the area that touches the center post) to lower the head so that the support in the rear just touches it.

Any one with a good head and a lathe could do this if they had the whole press. It would be trial and error fitting to get it perfect. I know I could do it but I probably don't live anywhere close. Maybe you have a friend with a lathe?

LDBennett
  14. green river

green river New Member

I'm a maintainance man with machining experience but this kind of thing is strictly a no no at work. I'm thinking about adding a sholder bolt shim to the top side of the turrent under the washer. There is probably .015" slop and if the colars could hold the turrent down tighter it might help. The ball detent is spring loaded and pushes back up on the turrent. Or I may try to add my own support post with a jack screw of some kind. I'm hopping someone with the same problem will show up here with a simple solution.