1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Lyman Universal Trimmer question

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by t1guyton1, Dec 4, 2009.

1. t1guyton1

t1guyton1 New Member

I have been using a Lyman trimmer for my case trimming.

After I have deprimed and sized the case, I then trim. I am having a problem with the Lyman trimmer pilot going into the mouth of the case. After putting considerably more pressure to force the pilot in, it binds and gets stuck. This is a manual case trimmer, by the way. This is only happening with Winchester cases. Remington and the other brands work fine. I am trimming a 45 auto case.

I know a lot say that there is no reason to trim, but I usually trim to 0.888 to reload.

Is anyone else ran across this issue?

thanks!
  2. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Yes, I have the same problem when using my Lyman trimmer on the various calibers that I reload. The pilots are a very tight fit for sure. The first time I use the pilot on a new caliber I take some fine emery cloth or even some medium steel wool and spin the trimmer with said pilot in place until I polish off enough material from it to make the fit a little bit looser. It doesn't take very much.

Since you are using the Lyman case trimmer you might want to get the Lyman Inside / Outside Deburring Tool. It attaches to the trimmer and does a real good job of smoothing the case necks after you trim the length. It works in any caliber from .22 to .45 with just an easy adjustment. :)
  3. res45

res45 Member

Your going to run into that problem from time to time,not all resizing/expander balls,RCBS,LYMAN etc. or rods as in the LEE are the exact same size. Then you have the issue of different case wall thicknesses between brands and how it springs back after sizing.

One thing I do is when I insert a case into the chuck I leave it slightly loose when I insert the pilot into the case mouth,then tighten the chuck it helps make sure the case is aligned to the pilot. You might also try if you have any using a little bit of imperial sizing wax on the pilot ever once in awhile what the problem brass. As mentioned above polishing the pilot will probably help also.

As far as trimming pistol brass I usually don't unless it is over length but I usually end up loosing it or wearing it out before that happens,the only pistol brass I have trimmed in awhile is a bunch of 9mm cases I converted to 9 x 18 to shoot in my PA-63. In fact I just purchased a power adapter shaft for my Lyman trimmer to do that with,sure makes the job easier.
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  4. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

+1
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

t1guyton1:

I have thousands of rounds between all my handgun calibers. I NEVER trim them. I have not found it necessary in over 20 years. In fact some of that brass carries 1987 dates and has never been trimmed (I bought it new).

I would never tell you to not trim but just that I have not found it necessary. Do it if you wish. I choose not to trim.

LDBennett
  6. t1guyton1

t1guyton1 New Member

thanks for the feedback. I dont normally trim all of my reloading brass. I am currently reloading 5 different pistol calibers and 4 rifle but two of my Springfield 45's are very unforgiving on mixed case length. I generally reload 300 to 500 rounds a month so its not too big of a deal to trim.