m-2 carbine

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms & Related Items' started by bonzy, Jan 29, 2009.

1. bonzy

bonzy New Member

I found a couple of m-2 carbines for sale, but dont know alot about the weapon. I was wondering if some one could help out with some prices and some models to look for? would appreciate any help
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

M2 carbines are fully automatic versions of the M1 carbine. Are you sure that's what you're looking at? Prices ought to be around 10 grand.
  3. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

it could very well be a m2 that has been modified to fire semi-auto only. or it could be a m1 with a m2 bolt . after the war these things were piled up and gone over. just like with the 45 autos parts were interchanged. thats why finding a all matching one brings higher dollars. m2's were easily converted back to a m1 configuration by removing a couple key parts.
  4. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

M-2s converted to M-1 are still considered machineguns, under federal law.
  5. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

understandable i suppose given the fact from what i've read it's very easy to convert back to a working m2. anyone who would consider such a move is playing with fire.
  6. Bill DeShivs

M1s and M2s are exactly the same receiver. Guns originally manufactured as M2s are considered machineguns. Once a machinegun, always a machinegun.
  7. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Bill,

Are you sure of this?..... I always thought since the fire control parts of an M2 are able to be puchased form mil-surp outlets, the controlled portion of the gun is the reciever, as only and M2 reciever will accept the M2 trigger components. Other wise you could take a stock M1 and convert it to an M2 with the M2 fire control parts,(trigger assembly at one time widely available), anyone could create and M2. I always have been under the impression the M2 reciever is the "bad" part here. Just someting I have read along time ago. You are right about the M2 reciever, "once a machine gun always a machine gun" Best regards Kirk
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  8. Bill DeShivs

Later M1 receivers were exactly the same as M2 receivers.
    M2 receivers are classified as machineguns-period. The proper combination of M2 parts is also considered a machinegun. But you can't make machinegun (M2) a legal semiauto.
    Wierd law, but if it's marked M2-it's a machinegun and always will be.
  9. medalguy

medalguy Member

To expand on Bill's comment, you can have two types of M2 carbines. The first is one marked on the receiver M2 and if this is the case, it was manufactured as a machine gun, and will forever be a machine gun. The second type is an M1 carbine with the selective fire parts installed. This one is a machine gun when the parts are installed, but theoretically the parts can be removed and the gun then becomes an M1 carbine. However, the set of parts removed constitute a machine gun in themselves and these parts do require registration under NFA, even though they are not installed in any weapon at the time. This registered set of parts can be then installed in any M1 carbine and removed at a later date, as long as they are kept together.
  10. 100 Bullets

100 Bullets New Member

M-2's are about 5 or 6 grand. I would not pay 10,000 for one, you would be getting ripped off.
  11. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Where are they for sale? If in a gun store, is the owner a Class 3 dealer? If not, he cannot legally deal in automatic weapons, but that is his problem. If he is, then it is a good bet the guns are legally registered and can be transferred on a Form 4.

If for sale by a private individual, run, do not walk, away from the whole thing. BATFE has been known to try "stings" involving selling auto weapons to people, then arresting them for possession of same. It is against the rules to do that kind of thing, but not all cops play by the rules.

Jim
  12. cakes

cakes New Member

I, too, have been considering an M2. There are plenty out there for sale. I think the lowest price I've seen lately is $4800. The highest was around $8000.

All of the M2s that I've seen for sale recently have been marked 'M2'. Some are original M2s, and others had the M1 stamped out and M2 stamped next to it.
  13. cakes

cakes New Member

Of course, after I posted I checked *********. There is an Inland M2 marked M1. Buy now for $6250.
  14. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

My friend bought one from a guy who had NO IDEA what he had. A real M2-he had reassembled wrong and stated ''it dont work-give me $100 for it.'' My friend got it running and it shoots fine now. Really fun gun.
  15. whirley

whirley Member

Are you positive about that?
    M-2 carbine had operating lever, and a modified sear with a lever arrangement for full automatic operation. For civilian sale, those features are removed by the gov't arsenals. I've examined many carbines, all had the M-1 sear, no M-2 modifications except the M-2 stock was reused. Occasionally I've seen the later model round bolt. The flattened bolt was also used with the M-2 carbine. Of course later remodification by individuals back to M-2 are completely illegal.