m-4, 3 shot burst or full auto?

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms & Related Items' started by Dutchman, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Dutchman

Dutchman New Member

I just wanted to ask; is the new m-4 carbine full auto or still 3 shot burst?
  2. travihanson

travihanson New Member

They have a few different types...The m4A1 is full auto...and /I think/ the M-4 is the three shot burst/semi-auto.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...
  3. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

colts are 3 shot, socom are full-auto...been that way forever. A reciever group can be switched out though by an armorer to make either which way.
  4. And when all else fails, you need one of these:

[​IMG]

:D;):p
  5. delta13soultaker

That was my first job in the Army...
  6. Guns up!!!! :D;)
  7. Admin

Admin Active Member Staff Member

All of the M4's I've seen are Full / Semi.
  8. delta13soultaker

Yup. Us new guys had to earn our machinegun slings...made lugging that mother on roadmarches and FTXs an adventure lol. But hearing Guns Up you'd forget at least a couple minutes how heavy she was. Was a teamleader in weapon squad just in time see the M60 phased out by the heavier M240B too.
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  9. I will always have a special place in my heart for the M-60, Delta. Yeah, it is a bit outdated now, but it was one hell of a good weapon in its day. We always took real good care of the '60 gunner, humping ammo or whatever, because when he was needed he was REALLY needed. :eek::D
  10. cohoskip

cohoskip New Member

Summer: Chimacum, WA; Winter: Casa Grande, AZ
    With the M2 carbine a touch of the trigger would release 3 rounds. It was full auto...
  11. delta13soultaker

Yeah I liked the M60. It had good balance. Rate of fire was rock steady, easy to work with. Believe me being one of the 60 gunners in a platoon caused a lot of pride. I remember sitting in Oporders and walking through rehersals and thinking okay hurry get to our (gunners') part.

The M240 is a bit heavier but generally more solid. Barrel changes are way faster, which is important. Adjusting the gas regulater gives you 3 rates of fire and it's dummy proof. Cleaning it still sucks though. And making a defensive position for it is still twice as much digging as rifleman do lol

On the M4. Very few in this military are anything besides semi/burst. By our doctrine we place rapid well aimed shots. Burst is good to suppliment a SAW that is out of action i.e. automatic rifleman mode. Full auto in an M4 doesn't do anything positive...it's hard to control so you just waste ammo fast, and if you keep it up you will melt the gas tube anyway if by some chance the reciever doesn't get so hot that you get a hung case in the chamber first. Burst gives you a high rate of controlled fire that normally will not damage the weapon.
  12. noslolo

noslolo New Member

In the late eighties I was in Military school and went to Ft Bragg for a summer camp. We got to qualify with the M-16A1 and fire the M-60 on the 900 meter range. Not a single cadet left the range without the biggest grin on thier face. The 60 holds a special place in my heart that I will never forget. What a great firearm!