M! Carbine shopping...need advice!!!

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by mikecyr, Jan 24, 2007.

1. mikecyr

mikecyr New Member

M1 Carbine shopping...need advice!!!

Hello,

I'm looking for an M1 Carbine to get my Dad. It doesn't need to be anything more than a reliable plinker. What should I look for in the way of trouble with the M1 Carbine. Are there any prefered models to seek or any to absolutely stay away from?

Thanks,

Mike
  2. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Re: M1 Carbine shopping...need advice!!!

Are you talking about a GI or a commercial carbine?
  3. mikecyr

mikecyr New Member

Re: M1 Carbine shopping...need advice!!!

Either would be fine. I'd prefer a GI but realize that they were made by various companies. More so than any thing I need help sifting through those different models. I guess it'd be easiest if individuals would chime in with what to stay away from, GI or otherwise.

Thanks,

Mike
  4. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Mike:

If you're just looking for a plinker, then you don't need an "all original" M1 Carbine, which can get very expen$ive.

U.S. GI Carbines were made by the following manufacturers:

Underwood
    Saginaw Gear, Saginaw
    Quality Hardware
    National Postal Meter
    IBM
    Standard Products
    Inland
    Saginaw Gear, Grand Rapids
    Winchester
    Irwin Pederson (rare)
    Rockola

Any of these, even if made up of "mix & match" parts, would make a good plinker.

After the War, Plainfield machine made up a bunch of Carbines. The early ones were made using U.S. GI parts, and they were pretty good. As time went on, they ran out of surplus parts and started making their own. Quality went rapidly downhill from there. Later still, Iver Johnson made some Carbines, and their quality was spotty as well, so I'd stay away from the Plainfields and IJ's and look for one from a manufacturer of the G.I. Carbines.

Best place to look that I can think of is one of the auction houses:

http://www.gunbroker.com/

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/auctions.aspx?ab=-21&ag=7

Just type in "M1 Carbine".

Good luck.....:)
  5. Bondo_Red

Bondo_Red New Member

Impactguns.com has a m1 carbine thats around 560 dollars I believe