M&P 15-22?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Crpdeth, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Has anyone bought/tried one of these? They are real affordable and seem like a nice way to get out and do some plinking without spending a fortune on ammo.

M&P 15-22 Rifles

Crpdeth
  2. pkcgbifaid

pkcgbifaid Member

I plan on buying one in the future. I know three guys who have them and they LOVE theirs. One has the threaded barrel with the flash hider, but he puts his Gemtech suppressor on it. I have shot it and it is a lot of fun and functioned perfectly. I know they had some issues with their first rifles, but a lot of that seems to have been cleared up now.
  3. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

im definitely desiring one...

i heard the first ones had some problems but that its been fixed.. boy howdy what a sweet toy.
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

There are now several "black guns" available in 22. While the S&W is one, the word is the SIG 522 is the best of the lot. It is accurate, well made of aluminum and plastic (no "pot metal" parts, unlike some of the others). I have one and it is a really nice, very good gun, indeed. You hear the least problems with the SIG, too, but originally they came with no sights (that may have been rectified by now???). Anyway, mine sports a Burris FastFire little red dot and is deadly accurate even with Federal bulk ammo which it feeds without a hiccup.

If you have yet to buy one of these 22 black guns, do yourself a favor and at least look at the SIG 522. I think you'll like it. Mine is absolutely excellent.

I also have a Voquartsenized 10/22, Thompsonized 10/22, a Feather RAV22-HB. Each has its place but if limited to one then the SIG would be first choice for general plinking.

LDBennett
  5. 22shot

22shot New Member

You guys should join the NRA.

There is an excellent write up; with specs and photos; on these "tactical" .22's in the Dec. 2010 issue of the American Rifleman.

While you are at it; check out the .22 AK-47 (made in Germany!) at Dunhams. Expensive but very impressive!
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  6. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Thanks for the review, Guys... I'll definitely stay away from the used ones with this information so I wont get one of the early release models.

LD, thanks for your review as well... I also own a 10/22 so I suppose in truth I just want anther black rifle while they are still available. Something about the Sig 522 just isn't doing it for me though... Do they offer aftermarket fore grips? I think that may be area that is throwing me off.

Crpdeth
  7. johnlives4christ

the nra in my opinion is not pro gun anymore. they are pro sportsman.

american rifleman magazine is okay...but honestly no matter what gun they review they like it. just like pretty much all gun magazines.

i actually have a magazine article reviewing the smith 15-22 in the smith 2009 catalog ( if i recall right)

i find the best gun review is personal experience. from either ones self or others
  8. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

All I can say is a retired LEO buddy of mine has one and really likes it. He's had and has a number of different centerfire EBRs and thought enough of this one to make a purchase. I've only put four mags of ammo through it but have stripped it down and checked it out. It looks and acts like a nice piece to me.
  9. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

I shied away from the S&W 15-22 because of the early problems. I bought a German-made copy of the MP-5 instead. It's a great gun - very well made with a solid feel to it. Not "plasticy" at all, and totally reliable. The one I have has the slim fake-supressor on the barrel. I don't like the newer ones with the tin-can-size supressor. Ugly.
  10. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    john,shame on you about the NRA i know its your choice but think about this,where can you get a life insurance policy for accidental death and a couple thousand dollars worth of theft insurance for the price of a NRA membership................and in answer to the thread,look at the mossberg ar type rifle.its half the price and if all your going to do is spray and pray its a good deal.they are less than half the price of others.
  11. 6x6pinz

6x6pinz New Member

I have the Sig 522, the colt Ar15-22, and the SW MP15-22. By far my favorite is the Sw mp 15-22. The mags load a whole lot easier than the sig. I had a round in the SW fail and it took out the extractor. A quick email to SW and they paid the shipping both ways along with the repair. My sig I find to be a little too short to shoot comfortably but it has been very reliable unlike the two colts I have. The mp-5 experience I have had are less than stellar so I never bothered picking one up.
    BTW the black dog drum mags work well in all of them and are a great addition.
  12. johnlives4christ

that is a pretty good point. i didnt know you got any life insurance through it.

but i remember i had 1000 of theft insurance from a locked vehicle.

what other insurance do you get?
  13. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Thank you Pinz, this is good news. :)

Crpdeth
  14. ALLONS11

ALLONS11 New Member

I can't really comment on the others, don't have any of them.

But I do run two of the S&W MP 15-22s, a dedicated CZ V-22 upper and the M-261 military conversion unit.

I bought one S&W, liked it so well I had to buy a second one. Never had any problems with either one. I get the best 100 yd accuracy with CCI Mini Mags, for 50 yd plink'in the bulk pak Federals work just fine.

[​IMG]

Like ALL my .22s, they don't like Remington ammo. Good luck, Ken
  15. Mikeinmass74

Mikeinmass74 New Member

Got mine 2 weeks ago and haven't put it down! 2000 rounds of Winchester 36 grain hp's with 1 ftf.... Best $$ I've spent on a firearm in a long time. This little rifle is suprisingly accurate and FUN! It will take all the accesories my ar's will. I considered a conversion for my ar but wasn't comfortable sending .22 down my 5.56 barrel. Also I don't think a 22 would stabilize from a 1-9 barrel.... The 15-22 is 1-16 and shots tight at 100 yards.