1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

M&P pistol what caliber should i carry?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Charles Butler, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Charles Butler

Charles Butler New Member

I've decided that the gun i want for my ccw is going to be a M&P compact pistol i like everything about them the only thing is im not sure on what caliber i should get i know they come in 357sig which was my main choice until i found out that the ammo is super expensive for it, and the other calibers are 40S&W, 9mm, and 45 acp, im just not sure on which of the four i should get, i have heard that 9mm is one of the best calibers for ccw? any suggestions
  2. Powderhorn

Powderhorn New Member

If you are going to carry concealed, I'm going to assume it is for self-defense. The best self-defense round in your list of choices is .45 ACP. I know you said you are stuck on the M&P, but since you asked for opinions, I offer for your perusal, the SIG P220 Compact:

http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=50&productid=166

Very nice weapon. I bought one three months ago, and I cant stop playing with it, and shooting it. I love SIGs!
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  3. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

I carry a Walther P99 in 9mm for CC loaded with 124gr HydraShoks. I'm partial to the 9mm myself, but it's all personal choice. The PD in Charlotte, NC uses the M&P in .40 S&W and all the officers tro whom I've spoken about it are very happy with them. See if you can shoot examples of the M&P in the various calibers and see which one you like best.
  4. islenos

islenos New Member

5. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

Yes the 357Sig is about $5 a box more expensive than the others to shoot.(Target Ammo) I like 45 auto but what you need to choose what suits you best, 9mm is the cheapest of the lot to shoot and you will get more range time. All the calibers you have mentioned is more than adequate for defensive needs.

Right now there is a shortage of handgun ammo and it is hard to find any on the store shelves. Whatever you decide practice as often as you can and have some fun at it. Wish you the best on your choice.

AND WELCOME TO THE FORUM CHARLES!
  6. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
  7. Charles Butler

ok wow the response time this was very fast and the 45acp seems great but the only thing is the M&P compact 45acp only has an 8+1 capacity, and i know when will you need more than 8 rounds, but what if you get in a situation where you do, either way i think its between the 40S&W or the 9mm
  8. islenos

islenos New Member

ONE .45 will bring down the bad guy, 9mm not so much. Some times you just gotta go with quality than quantity.

No replacement for displacement
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  9. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

got to agree there

+1
  10. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

I agree with shooting all of them and then making a decision. All are great, but I feel that the ammo you choose to shoot while carring is the main thing. Look at the Cor-bon DPX. Good luck.
  11. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

With good ammo and good aiming, all four will do the job. Without, none of the four will. Just go ahead and pick what you want.
  12. pawn

pawn Active Member

+1
  13. Charles Butler

ok ya think im gonna go with the 45 if your gonna shoot someone might as well shoot something that will finish the job
  14. Jimdo

Jimdo New Member

.45 ACP - Massive Knockdown Power. Just can't be beat.
  15. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member