The Firearms Forum banner

M&P pistol what caliber should i carry?

6K views 42 replies 18 participants last post by  oscarmayer 
#1 ·
I've decided that the gun i want for my ccw is going to be a M&P compact pistol i like everything about them the only thing is im not sure on what caliber i should get i know they come in 357sig which was my main choice until i found out that the ammo is super expensive for it, and the other calibers are 40S&W, 9mm, and 45 acp, im just not sure on which of the four i should get, i have heard that 9mm is one of the best calibers for ccw? any suggestions

#2 · (Edited)
If you are going to carry concealed, I'm going to assume it is for self-defense. The best self-defense round in your list of choices is .45 ACP. I know you said you are stuck on the M&P, but since you asked for opinions, I offer for your perusal, the SIG P220 Compact:

http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=50&productid=166

Very nice weapon. I bought one three months ago, and I cant stop playing with it, and shooting it. I love SIGs!

#3 ·
I carry a Walther P99 in 9mm for CC loaded with 124gr HydraShoks. I'm partial to the 9mm myself, but it's all personal choice. The PD in Charlotte, NC uses the M&P in .40 S&W and all the officers tro whom I've spoken about it are very happy with them. See if you can shoot examples of the M&P in the various calibers and see which one you like best.

#5 ·
Yes the 357Sig is about $5 a box more expensive than the others to shoot.(Target Ammo) I like 45 auto but what you need to choose what suits you best, 9mm is the cheapest of the lot to shoot and you will get more range time. All the calibers you have mentioned is more than adequate for defensive needs.

Right now there is a shortage of handgun ammo and it is hard to find any on the store shelves. Whatever you decide practice as often as you can and have some fun at it. Wish you the best on your choice.

AND WELCOME TO THE FORUM CHARLES!

#7 ·
ok wow the response time this was very fast and the 45acp seems great but the only thing is the M&P compact 45acp only has an 8+1 capacity, and i know when will you need more than 8 rounds, but what if you get in a situation where you do, either way i think its between the 40S&W or the 9mm

#9 ·
ONE .45 will bring down the bad guy, 9mm not so much. Some times you just gotta go with quality than quantity.

No replacement for displacement
got to agree there

+1

#16 ·
9mm. Hmm Though I most often carry a .45, this is why I carry .327 instead of a 9mm now.
-------------------------------------------------------------
327 Fed Magnum compared to .357 Magnum compared to 9MM

.327 Mag........ 115 GDJHP.......1325 fps.....431 ft-lbs of energy
.327 Mag.........100 JSP...........1400 fps.....435 ft-lbs of energy
.357 Mag.........110 JHP...........1300 fps.....410 ft-lbs of energy
9MM Luger.......115+p+ JHP......1300 fps.....431 ft-lbs of energy
--------------------------------------------------------------
The .327 is far more compact and still gives you 6 rounds. After two rounds its most likely a gunfight anyway and not self defense.

Latigo

#18 ·
wow so many people here think the 45 is a magic bullet. it's more about shot placement than caliber. except for time of war more people have been shot and killed with a 22 than any other caliber. the numbers just dont put the 45 that much ahead of the pack over a 9mm a 40 , and 357 sig and lags behind the 357 mag. and based on the numbers i see from the 327 it's got to be up around 9mm+p stopping power.

#19 ·
If it were me I would go for the .45 but and this is a biggy, it is expensive as well to just target shoot. My best suggestion for you is to go with what you like and reload, seems most around here do. Reloading is no harder than loading a clip just takes longer, also as I always tell everyone, you will be surprised at what a load of crap most factory ammo is. Consistency that's the key, which ever just take us some pics of gun and target!

#21 ·
wise choice, and you'll lose very little over a 45 with the 40 , just pick your load carefully, you'll have a few choices, light 135 grain or 180 grains with plentyof weights in between. and with the 40 you can get a 357 sig barrel and switch out when you want to. uses the same magazines

#23 ·
all calibers mentioned have good selling points. i would probably go with the 9mm in the gun you choose. maybe a 40. i like the 40, even though the 45 is a better self defence round. but if you shoot someone in the head, they will not continue an assault on you, no matter what you shoot them with. as a coincidence, walmart always has 357 sig when i go, always

#25 ·
ONE .45 will bring down the bad guy, 9mm not so much. Some times you just gotta go with quality than quantity.

No replacement for displacement
Unless you take out the central nervous system (brain or spine) there is no gaurantee that one sot will bring anyone down. Asides a shot to the central nervous system a person needsto bleed out enough to lose conscience. Never expect one shot to do the deed.

#26 ·
wow so many people here think the 45 is a magic bullet. it's more about shot placement than caliber....the numbers just dont put the 45 that much ahead of the pack over a 9mm a 40 , and 357
In a running gun battle, shot placement is a pipe dream, your not going to be in your favorite stance you use at the shooting range. Personally being in a JTF Unit with both .45 and 9mm, I must say the .45 is far more devastating then a 9mm on the human body.

side note: I have no practical experience with a .40 so I will devolve that to another.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.