The Firearms Forum banner

M&P rear sight change

2K views 14 replies 3 participants last post by  68c15 
#1 ·
my shield's rear sight is annoyingly sharp. It is tearing up anything it gets close to, including my elbow when I sit down. Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution? I'd like a fiber optic version but most importantly it needs to have a beveled or rounded rear top. I was going to ask the S&W rep yesterday but with the large mob at the LGS for demo days it didn't work out.

#2 ·
Hey, 68!

I feel your pain! Mine dug into my side occasionally, but mostly I wanted night sights. I picked up a set of Ameriglo Front and Rear Sights. I don't have a sight tool, so I thought "I'll take them off the old fashioned way!" Trust me when I tell you, I beat the crap out that rear sight to remove it, and I barely moved the damn thing. Turns out they set them with a hydralic press, and it isn't moving. I know some have posted videos, and instructions, but I popped for the extra $30 bucks and let the gunsmith at the LGS do it. It's much less frustrating! Good luck with your decision. However the new sights are perfect!

#8 ·
Good evening, 68!

Todd51 is just around the corner from me! I'll stop over tomorrow and get some pics. His camera and set up is so much better than what I could do. If you want to research them;

Ameriglo Rear Sight: SW-145R Two Dot w/Green Tritium Inserts
Ameriglo Front Sight: SW-212-230-OR Green Tritium Insert w/ Orange Outline

www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sights/pistol-sights/smith-wesson/night-sights

I ordered them from Optics Planet, as I thought they had the best price. I or Todd will follow up tomorrow!

#10 ·
The rear sight is nicely rounded and very smooth. The edges are perfectly matched to the dovetail. I don't think you'll be disappointed to you go with these. As with so many things, it's all in the eye of the beholder! I'll get over to Todd's tomorrow and get some pics!

#11 ·
Todd here are the pics or 4. The dark one is my amateurish attempt to get the night sights.

Attachments

#13 ·
Even though they function like a dream I think the rear one is even more sharp than factory. Other than that, they look superb.

I noticed something else in those pics. Does it have a laser in the guide spring?! Now THAT is cool

#14 ·
Sorry, no! The Laser is a Crimson Trace LG-489. A great laser, but I popped it off a while back, and just haven't put it back on. I bought an IWB holster from AlienGear and it's a nice holster, with all sorts of adjustment options. Great price, too! I just haven't found the sweet spot yet, so I reverted back to my favorite, a DeSantis Intruder IWB. Unfortunately, DeSantis has not come out with an Intruder IWB Holster to accommodate the Crimson Trace. I'm hopeful they will someday!

As far as the rear sight is concerned, all the edges are smooth, and fairly rounded. Good luck with your search!

#15 ·
good solid steel so a guy could file it down smoother if I wanted? I did that to the factory one and it is better but those would help in the dark. Also, thanks for the IWB holster info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.