M1 30 cal carbine

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by larry reed, Jul 11, 2012.

1. larry reed

larry reed New Member

my dad pased away gave me a m1 it shoots nice but it will hang up jam on me about the 4th or 5th shot i cleaned it and cleaned it it still dou's it please help :confused:
  2. johnnyehlers

johnnyehlers Member

Hi LR,
    I just got an M1 myself and am by no means an expert, but from what I've read on forums and watched on YouTube, it could be three things. Do you have more than one Magazine, and does it happen no matter what mag. you'r using? From what I've seen a weak mag. spring can cause that. Also carbon build up on the piston, or weak slider spring. (I think that's what it's called, having a brain fart right now) Anyway that's my 2 cents worth, I'm sure some one way more knowledgeable than me will be along soon to help you. Fun little gun, I love mine.
  3. larry reed

larry reed New Member

yes i have 3 mags all the same what piston? and sliderspring ? do you have a scamatic on the parts and what there for ? it seem like its not throwin the caseing out right . you think it could be the shells ? dous the bullits have to be nato ?
  4. johnnyehlers

johnnyehlers Member

I think as long as it's 30 cal. carbine ammo it should work. Here's a link to a manual.

http://stevespages.com/pdf/m1_carbine.pdf

And also a YouTube link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhB42gZEK8Q

For the gas piston you will have to buy, or fabricate a gas piston nut wrench.
    I haven't found a lot of info on the piston, as they were self cleaning and for the most part trouble free, but could carbon up at times.
  5. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

You need to clean the gas port. To do this you have to remove the gas piston nut with a special tool. If you are going to shoot an M1 carbine a lot you will have to buy one of these tools.
  6. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

johnny, thanks for reminding me of Steve's Pages, I had forgotten all about that place.
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Is the carbine GI or one of the post-WWII commercial guns? Some of the latter have been trouble prone, where the GI guns usually work OK given good ammo.

Jim
  9. johnnyehlers

johnnyehlers Member

10. johnnyehlers

johnnyehlers Member

Your Welcome, Thank You TFF for the Steve's Pages site heads up. Defenantly a wealth of info.