M1 .30Carbine, mags, ammo, dies....

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by HappyNanoq, Oct 3, 2004.

1. HappyNanoq

HappyNanoq New Member

Lives in the northern Jutland, which is where I gr
    Could there or would there be any interest in an M1 US Carbine in cal. .30Carbine.

It comes with several magazines, reloading-dies, projectiles, some cases of original ammunition in org. boxes...
    Some 3-4000 rounds + the reloads.

This was a question by a friend of mine.

I've shot it myself a while back, he have reloaded some huntingrounds for it and it works great for that purpose.
    It's in good mechanical order, no parts missing that I'm aware of.

Actually there's only one trouble with it.!!!

It's located here in Denmark.!! (Europe.. you know.. near Germany/England/Sweeden/Norway!).

What would be needed to export/import this one to the US ?
    And would there be a market for it at all?

All he heard, was that they seemed rare or "hard to come by" in the US.
    But I have no idea.
  2. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Happy

Not all that hard to come by here.
    I have a RCBS Jr set up and load 30 Carbine.
    I got the dies (die set) off ebay for about 1/2 retail and buy my brass and bullets from Midway.

I also have bought 2 20 rnd and a 15 rnd mag off of ebay

Loading 13.5 gr of IMR 4198 and 110 gr Speer RDN
  3. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

It's a big, BIG hassle trying to import an individual firearm. I don't have an FFL, so I don't know what the regulations are, but I do know it isn't easy.

Whether it would be worth it or not, depends on the value of the gun. If it's all-original GI issue M1 Carbine, in really excellent condition, it might possibly be worth it.

Between 1941 to 1945 over 6 Million M1 Carbines were produced by 10 different government contractors (Winchester, Standard Products, Underwood-Elliot-Fisher, Quality Hardware Machine, National Postal Meter, Rock-Ola, IBM, Irwin-Pedersen, Inland of GM, and Saginaw Steering Gear of GM). The Irwin-Pedersons are fairly rare and valuable, and Winchesters are also particularly sought after.

If it's a mixed parts gun, or was made by any post-WWII commercial manufacturer, it's probably not worth it.

Who's the manufacturer, and what's the condition of the gun?

BTW.....here in Minn-eeeee-sota, we've probably got nearly as many Scandanavians as in Scandanavia.....lots of Swedes, Norwegians, Finns.....and yes, even a few Danes! :D
  4. offeror

offeror New Member

I agree with the previous posts, and would say this:

The carbines are plentiful here. They'll be at every gun show. They are desirable, and if we want one we can find one at a given price point, from $300 up. The Universal and Iver Johnson commercial guns are the cheapest, but of course they're not military guns. Then come the Blue Sky re-imports, which are now commanding $500 or so (many Blue Sky guns are fine shooters but collectors object to their not being original military hand-me-downs and having the Blue Sky stamp on the barrel). Obviously the original military relics bring the most money, and of those the Winchester name seems to attract the most interest (even though they may not have made the very best military rifles of all time). I have seen Winnies around $600-750 or a bit more. If your buddy imports his M1 carbine to the U.S. it will sell, but depending upon the manufacturer it may sell for $500-750 or a bit more, but I wouldn't count on getting a lot more unless he does have a rarity.
  5. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

It's not difficult for an individual, using either a licensed importer or even just a simple FFL dealer, to occasionally import a rifle. I got a brilliant, mint-mint FN Browning Medallion .300 H&H that way a couple of years back.

However, firearms that are of US government origin or composed of US government parts will not be authorized for importation without specific waivers from the State Dept, etc..... That's why we dont have all those reimport M1 Garands and M1 Carbines any more.