M1 Carbine - Blue Sky Arlington, VA

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by jskell, Apr 6, 2009.

1. jskell

jskell New Member

I worte this to Mr. Robert Gibson who is an expert on the M1 Carbine. However, the email address I had for him was apprently no good. Not sure if Mr. Gibson reads the Firearms Forum but if you do, here is the message I sent to you. Or, if anyone else can answer my questions, I would appreciate it.

Dear Mr. Gibson:

I found your article about the M1 Carbine (both in Fulton Armory & Guns World) extremely interesting. I wish now I had read your article before I recently purchased a M1 Carbine from a local Gun Dealer. Although the markings on the barrel do not match up to any of the Contractors listed in your article, I am wondering now if I made the wrong purchase. The barrel markings reflect 'Blue Sky - Arlington, VA.'; the serial number is 4349706. Under the rear sight, just above the serial number, it looks like it stamped "POS-TER". Do you have any information on this M1, when it was made, and who is 'Blue Sky'?

Also, I read that you were looking for one from IBM. A friend of mine just lost his dad who had an IBM, Serial Number 3778980, mfg November '42. He will be selling it. Don't know if you are still interested. I have seen it and it looks like it is in very good condition and has been kept in a Temperature Control Gun Safe. How much do you think this M1 is worth? If you are interested, I can give you his contact information, otherwise, I may purchase it and take my loss on 'Blue Sky' version?????

Thanks for your assistance and sharing your knowledge.
  2. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

sky blue was a importer. these guns are normally mis-matched and made of various parts from different makers of the m1.
  3. Anchor Clanker

Anchor Clanker Member

As Oscar said, Blue Sky is/was a importer. They imported surplus military guns from Korea I believe. These were guns sold or transferred to foreign countries and declared surplus to their needs by these countries. Federal law required the importers name to be stamped on the gun.
  4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Blue Sky was around for many years, I don't know if they are still in business. They used to import some pretty high quality firearms. I once owned a 90-95% C96 Mauser that was imported by them. The only thing wrong with it was the Blue Sky stamp on the right side plate of the pistol. If I remember right, quite a few of their imports were refinished (even if it were high quality refinishing), which of course lowered the collector value.
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  5. TimmyD

TimmyD New Member

Bump this thread,
    My friend just got an M1 garand
    The barrel is stamped 'Blue Sky' too.
    In the pic is the 'main' serial number.

What it is worth...who knows...from initial indications, its been around the block once or twice...

Attached Files:

6. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Blue Sky importers were notorious for stamping their name very heavily on the barrel, often distorting the bore and interfering with accuracy. Collectors look down on import marked carbines and they bring around $400 or so.
  7. TimmyD

TimmyD New Member

...interesting...and thanks...

...debating if attempting to get a proper 'series' barrel is worth the effort to find & pay for it...

...that is...my friend is debating that question...
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  8. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

I think you would do better if you sell your carbine for $400 and buy a non import for around $550. A new barrel plus installation would run a couple of hundred dollars.