The Firearms Forum banner

M1 carbine clone?

15K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Bigdog57 
#1 ·
I was out doin a lil pawn shop winder shoppin today on my way back from my DR's appt. I ran across a .22 cal M1 carbine clone. I forgot the maker's name before i made it in. I was wonderin if anyone knows anything bout em? It looked just like a small M1 carbine all the way down to the knotched stock. it's a pre-ban semi auto rifle with about a 20 or so round clip. the rifle was in great shape and askin $190 for it. I wanted to give it good home, but couldn't bring myself to buy it not knowin anythin about it or what it maybe worth. any info over it be a great help.

#2 ·
The only .22 "carbine-like" rifles I know of were the Iver Johnson, Erma EM1, and the Marlin. Erma (W. Germany) made the rifles for IJ. Fun shooters. but not any more accurate than the 10-22 out of the box. Most sell around $150 - $200, but I've seen 'em go for almost $300 to the "right" buyer. If it is pre-ban, that 20 round mag will be worth as much as the rifle. I had a gent offer me $80 for one 10 round mag for I had extra, and I sold it !

#3 ·
Jay, thanks for the info. I know it'd been a bigger help if i could remember the maker. When i first scanned across the 22 rifles i thought it was a longer barreled 10/22 by the band on the forend of the stock then i saw the clip and knew it wasn't. with what you've told me and the shape the rifle was in i may have to hold off on buying the marlin .17hmr and give that 22 a good home. since i can pick up a new 17 at any time. far as group shootin goes it don't bother me to much cause i enjoy plicking more the holdin tight groups, plus with the high cap mag means less reloadin times. plus my old single shot bolt action model 47 winchester with open sights post one hole groups and drives my friends crazy with there high end 22's. if i get it i'll try to post up some pics of it. again thanks for the help.

#8 ·
;) How about the Marlin model 99m1 produced from 1964 to 1976. Just picked one up and it is perfect. It is pre 1968(no ser#).Best shooting .22 i own out of 9 different ones. Also have the ERMA and the marlin puts it to shame.
I'm new to your forum so excuse my mistakes. Looking forward to sharing some fun and information. Thanks

#9 ·
Welcome to the gang Road hog. When ya get a chance do some shootin and post up the targets. If I can ever get a chance to go we'll have a contest sometime. Smokin Guns is the Master of Ceramonies and Grand Potentate all rolled into one.

#11 ·
Glad to see you at TFF, Road hog. We hope you enjoy it here and will become a frequent poster.

We are a diverse group and enjoy a camaraderie unsurpassed anywhere on the Web. Our collective knowledge is some of the finest you will find anywhere and is unsurpassed.

Please pull up a stump and make yourself at home. We are dedicated to the preservation of the United States Constitution and those who gave their all to see it through from the beginning to the present. We hope it will be one of your favorite places. Finally, we would like you to feel that this is just as much your home as it is ours.

Attachments

#15 ·
Just for the heck of it I put my 10 shot 22lr mag inside a 30M1 mag ,works well & I like it better.The actual rifle I have owned since 1977,its fired many thousands of rounds,all ive changed is the cocking lever which snapped some 10 years ago. I find it still very accurate after all this time.pic enc.Kestral

Attachments

#17 ·
Some years back I lucked up on an IJ 22M1 Carbine, and paid $55 for it. The recoil spring was worn, but a few stacked washers fixed that. Had to be careful scoping it (they do have a 3/8 dovetail rail), as the shells eject straight up, and would sometimes bounce back into the action!
Sadly, it was stolen with a few other rifles.
Now, I have the Marlin 99M1. More accurate than the IJ, but not nearly as much like a true M1 Carbine. Still a fun little bunny-blaster and handy in the field.

I once found another IJ carbine at the gunshow - the seller wanted $350 for it! No sale....... :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.