M1 carbine for Garand match

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by warriflefan, Sep 11, 2011.

1. warriflefan

warriflefan Member

I am going to try and compete this next summer in the M1 Garand matches in my area with an M1 Carbine. My NPM M1 Carbine can put about 90% in the 10 ring when shot from sandbags.
    Is it usual to use a sling for shooting these since the recoil is so light? My Carbine Sling isn't long enough to use like the Garand sling I put on my Enfield to compete. Would one of the woven Garand slings be best to compete with?
  2. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

Will they allow a carbine? It's a "Garand" Match, not a "M1" Match.
  3. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Even if they allowed it you won't be shooting off sandbags and you will be shooting at 200, 300 and 600 yards. There is a reason it is a big bore match. Me thinking if you want to shoot that match you need to start saving your loose change and get yourself a Garand.
  4. whirley

whirley Member

The carbine cartridge is only a souped up pistol cartridge with a muzzle velocity of about 2000 FPs and you will be handicapping yourself. The M1 garand uses a cartridge with a velocity of about 2700 and a heavier bullet. No competition at all.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

200 yds is about the maximum range youd be able to hit the target with an M1 carbine. The round is just too weak and ballistically inferior for shooting beyond 200. Yeah the bullets will go that far but not with any kind of accuracy and repeatability.

Id save up and get a garand. It aint gotta be a NM garand, but you need the ballistics of the .30-06 to consistently hit the 400 and 600 yd target with any kind of competitive consistency.
  6. DennymacFF

DennymacFF New Member

Are the Garand matches that you are planning to shoot going to be fired at 100 or 200 yards? The Carbine is marginally decent at 100 yards and marginally inaccurate at 200 yards. You can shoot it if you want to, if they will allow it. The rules call for any Garand, Springfield, or Vintage Military rifle. The Carbine is not specifically mentioned. If they will allow you to fire the Carbine, take it and have a great time. But, you need a Garand to be competitive. Have a great day. DennyMac
  7. warriflefan

warriflefan Member

The matches in my area are 100 and 200 yard. They are the CMP M1 garand matches, so they allow any military rifle made prior to 1956 if it is in it's original configuration. I shoot hornandy 100 grain semi jacketed spire point over 15 grains of w296 and it is great for accuracy at 100 yards, especially for the standing slow fire stage. The last match had everything from a 1911 schmidt rubin to and m14, so I'm sure a carbine would be eligible to shoot.

Does anyone know how to adjust the sling for an M1 carbine for the prone fire stages?
  8. warriflefan

warriflefan Member

The first match I competed in was won by a guy shooting a 30-40 krag.
  9. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
  10. warriflefan

warriflefan Member

That link doesn't show how to set up an M1 carbine sling though.
    It is shorter than a standard sling, and it doesn't have the same sort of set up on the rear of the sling as a standard garand sling.
  11. warhorse1

warhorse1 Member

The carbine sling can be used as a "Hasty Sling". As you noted, it's not long enough to be used in the "Loop Sling" configuration. You're giving up a lot shooting the carbine in a service rifle match. Good luck!
    wh1
  12. warriflefan

warriflefan Member

I'll do a few practice rounds first, if it doesn't work out mayble ill take out my 91/30. It shoots great with that winchester metric ammo (when I can find it).
  13. warriflefan

warriflefan Member

Maybe I'll have to post a pic of my gold pin CMP next to the carbine when I get it during next year competition!!!
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I have excellent luck with winchester metric 7.62X54R too! I buy as many as I can at a time when I find it. Great brass for reloading too! Luckily I have a Cheaper Than Dirt and a Military Gun Supply within 30 minutes of me. My finn 39 loves that stuff!
  15. BikerNut

BikerNut New Member

I'm trying to figure out a solution to this sling conundrum also.

High Power/Service Rifle match season is over (around here at least) but I'm not ready to stop having fun yet. The range I belong to has "100-Yard Carbine Fun Matches" (AK/SKS/AR/M1 anything carbine length) and there's one match left this season, in one week.

I took the Garand sling off my AR, but of course the 1.25" crimped metal sling end won't fit through the front 1.00" sling swivel on the M1.

I'm going to try to rig up something using an old 1.25" AR "silent sling", which will squeeze through a 1.00" swivel... then improvise something for the arm loop.

My old 1943 Underwood is pretty damn accurate at 100 yards.