M1 carbine for Garand match

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by warriflefan, Sep 11, 2011.

1. czndvet

czndvet New Member

Rule 9.2.2 in the 2010 CMP rule book states that "All rifles used in the National John C. Garand Match must be "as-issued" M1 Garands that comply with Rule 6.3.2 or Unlimited Garands that comply with Rule 6.4.1.

There is a separate event for M1 carbines. There are 4 stages, all at 100 yds. Go for it.
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  2. warriflefan

warriflefan Member

In the sacramento area, all the CMP M1 matches I have been to you can use whatever vintage military rifle you want as long as it is pre 1956. The
    CMP form that you fill out allows you to specify the rifle used and has boxes to check for carbines, krags, 1903's etc. I'm still debating which rifle to take to the comps this year, they usually run from may to august. I've got some handloads for both rifles, but I also got my headspace problem with my enfield (that I have competed with in the past) fixed. It's headspace was only one hundreth of an inch off when I got it!
  3. bobski

bobski Former Guest

youre going to get waxed and go home with your tail btwn. your legs.
    facts are facts.
    get a garand!
  4. warriflefan

warriflefan Member

Well I finally took the carbine out for the service rifle match. I scored a 219 in 20 mile an hour cross winds. All the rounds landed on the paper though. I shot better than all of the m1 garand shooters in this match. My carbine is bone stock, too. No target triggers, shooting jackets, elbow/knee pads or any of the other crutches that so many shooters use in these matches.
  5. bobski

bobski Former Guest

219...out of what? 500?
    trust me, if you shot better than the M1 garand shooters, odds are they werent real skilled garand shooters...or youre shooting on a reduced target course.
    what was your longest shot? just curious. 100yds maybe?

sounds to me you shot a carbine course, not a garand course.
    sometimes called 'rack grade matches.'

earlier you mentioned 100 and 200. were the 200yd shots shot prone? if so, to give you a comparison, 200yds is where the M1 garand match begins.....OFFHAND.

i truly think what youre calling a garand match and what a garand match really is, are two different animals.
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2012