M1 Carbine Johnson .22 spitfire Conversions

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by travelinbob, Jan 9, 2008.

1. travelinbob

travelinbob New Member

Hello all,
    I got one of these last year on a whim and still don't know much about them. Are they collectable, or am I better off converting it back to original cconfiguration? Thanks to all.
    Bob
  2. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

travelinbob,

Cool! I was just reading in an old gun digest about these guns and the ammo that go with. If you are a reloader just shoot it! If not well you could sell or trade it. But as a shooter it would be sweet, a carbine varmit gun. Have you shot it and if so how well did it do? Best reguards Kirk
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2008
  3. never e nuff

never e nuff New Member

My boss's father got one last year and as far as i know they have not got it to cycle yet. The gas port on the barrel was almost closed off with carbon, but even when that was cleaned out it still would not operate the action correctly. I was told they suffered from the gas port being to small in the first place. I am sure that that gas operated auto loading system is a little bit finicky, bullet weight, powder type, chamber pressure and duration. To answer your question personally I would change it back and save the extra pieces. Good Luck!
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2008