M1 Carbine Light Strikes

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by illinoishunter, Feb 18, 2012.

1. illinoishunter

illinoishunter New Member

Hi All, Having an issue with my M1 I can't seem to straighten out yet. I've previously posted and u/l pics about it and tried the suggested remedy but no luck. Very randomly, the M1 will not fire the round. It just dents the primer. When it does fire, no problem cycling to the next round at all. Like I say, it's random. Will fire a few times, then misfire, or light strike as someone here posted was the correct terminology. I've tried new, factory ammo as we thought the reloads I was using looked like the primer was set too deep. Any suggestions on the next step? Someone indicated the firing pin may be worn. Would a picture help? I can upload it after disassembly if it would.
    Thank in advance!
    Tom
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

You don't say if the carbine is GI or by one of the post-war makers; some of the latter guns are not well made.

Misfires are often the result of failure of the bolt to close fully, due to the ammo or a dirty chamber, or (rarely) a short chamber. I would find a gunsmith with Carbine headspace gauges and make sure the chamber is OK before doing anything else. If it is, and ammo seems to be ruled out, the next step might be to replace the firing pin. GI firing pins are available from parts places like www.gunpartscorp.com and www.billricca.com. If you decide to take the bolt apart yourself, do yourself a favor and buy a bolt dis-assembly tool as reassembly will be very difficult without it.

Jim
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Change the recoil spring first. Sounds like the recoil spring may be 'out of service life' and it isnt slamming the bolt all the way into battery every time. It helps if you thoroughly clean the gas system and chamber and keep it that way too..
  4. illinoishunter

Thanks for all the quick responses. I'm pretty sure the ammo can be ruled out. I'm u/l a few pics to see what you guys think. One concern I have is on the left side of receiver it looks like that rail is pretty worn. Not sure though. This is my first M1 so I'm still in the learning stage. Maybe taking it in to a good gunsmith is my first step in getting this corrected. What do you think? Thanks Again! Tom

Attached Files:

5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Looks like theres still alot of cleaning left to do. I see lots of cosmo in the crevices. You can boil the trigger group and the bolt in soapy water for a few minutes to melt out all the cosmoline. Then take them out with an old fork and immediately spray them down generously with some Rem oil or an equivalent rust preventative lubricant. Then go to work cleaning the chamber and bore, as well as the gas piston op rod, recoil spring and guide and the oprod track in the stock. make sure it isnt dragging anywhwere.

Lockup should be effortless. the bolt should rotate easily when you manipulate the charging handle. once its thoroughly cleaned and well lubed. try cycling some dummy ammo. the bolt should still lock up effortlessly and turn freely when you manipulate the charging handle. If alls well its time to hit the range again. and if you still get light strikes, its time for a tune up. Replace the hammer spring and the recoil spring at the very least.
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

One thing not clear in the pics is the maker of that carbine. It looks like a commercial carbine using a cast receiver and trigger group, which could mean some parts are not to spec and aren't working well together. Can you take a picture of the receiver markings and also of the back of the bolt?

Jim
  7. illinoishunter

Ok, Here's the pictures and a couple extra. Thank You!

Attached Files: