M1 Carbine Questions

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by trashman611, Jan 9, 2011.

1. trashman611

trashman611 New Member

I stumbled across this site while looking for information about this M1 Carbine that I inherited from my godfather. After a couple of hours searching I am beyond confused, so I decided to turn to the experts to see what it might be worth and whether it should be a collectible or shooter and any other information about it.

M1 Carbine
    Underwood
    Serial Number 1397680

On the barrel
    Underwood 3-43

On the stock right under the grip has a P with circle around it.

That's all the identifying marks I could find.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Your pictures are too dark to make out some of the details, but it appears to be an early Underwood carbine with most of the desirable early features. I can see that it has the early flip sight and the type I early barrel band which does not accommodate a bayonet. I need to know if it has a flat early bolt or the later round bolt, and if the safety is the early push button type or the later lever type. I can't see any cartouche on the stock, but maybe it is too faint to make out in the photo. I also need to know what markings are inside the stock cut out, and what markings are inside the handgrip. If the carbine has all the right markings, including the markings on all the parts, it could have a value of as much as $1500 or more. Otherwise, it falls out of the collectible category and it is worth around $600. Some collectors will spend a long time looking for the right parts to make a carbine "correct" and thus increase its value.
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  3. trashman611

trashman611 New Member

Thanks for the informative response wonderwhippet.

It does have the early flat bolt and also the push type safety.
    The markings in the stock cut out are kind of hard to make out, however I think I can make out an IO or maybe a 10 and the Army Ordnance "Bomb" acceptance stamp.
    Im not sure what you mean by the cartouche on the stock and can't find the markings on the inside of the handgrip either.
    If you could provide some pictures as to where i could find them I would appreciate it.

Thanks.
  4. wonderwhippet

The IO stamped inside the cut out means the stock is Inland, which may or may not be correct for your Underwood. I will look it up and let you know later today. Otherwise, so far everything looks good, so it may be an untouched early carbine worth well upwards of $1000. Did you find any markings inside the handguard, and does the handguard have two rivets or four?
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The "IO" stands for Inland-Overton; the stock was made by Overton for Inland.

Something looks odd about that front band. How about a pic of the other side?

Jim
  6. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Looks like something is missing from the front near the barrel band and the finish in the metal just ''looks too good'' was it redone in anyway?
  7. trashman611

trashman611 New Member

Here are some more pictures of the front. Hopefully they can help some.

I didn't find any markings inside the handguard, but I may have just overlooked them. A lot of the markings so far have been pretty faint and hard to see. The handguard has 2 rivets though.

And I don't have a clue whether it was restored. No one I asked said that they restored it, but my godfather passed over a decade ago so there is always a possibility that it has been touched up.

Thanks for all the help though. The more and more I try to look up the more confused I get. You guys are a lifesaver.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  8. wonderwhippet

The front band looks absolutely correct. The two rivet early type handguard is correct, but I'm sorry to say the stock is incorrect. It looks like you would have to find an Underwood stock to make things right, not an easy job to do. The stock cartouche is a round 1/2 inch circle with crossed cannons. It is found on the right side of the stock, right under where your chin would be if you were aiming the carbine. Sometimes these have been very faintly stamped, or may have been sanded off, so they can be very hard to see.
  9. trashman611

trashman611 New Member

I can't find the cartouche even under different types of lights. Even without the correct stock it is still a great piece. So now I'm going to assume it is in the non collectible shooter valued at 600 plus or minus. Thanks for all your help. This is a great forum.
  10. wonderwhippet

it's worth at least $800 the way it is.
  11. c152pilot

c152pilot New Member

Hello all,

I'm new to forums & while searching M1 Carbines Underwood 3-43 I found this thread.
    I am seeking support from fellow members identifying my Fathers rifle.

RIP Chief Alt 1924- 2011, USN 1940- 1971- 33rd Degree Mason A victim of Project Shad

The rifle-
    [​IMG]
    --
    [​IMG]
    ---
    [​IMG]
    ----
    [​IMG]
    -----
    [​IMG]
    -------
    [​IMG]
    --------
    [​IMG]
    ---------
    [​IMG]
    ----------
    [​IMG]
    -----------
    [​IMG]
    ------------[​IMG]
    -------------
    [​IMG]
    --------------
    I was also given a MODELO 1935 Mauser in fine condition with old leather rifle strap : )

Thanks in advance for any information : )

J:D
  12. popgun

popgun New Member

Love those carbines
  13. wonderwhippet

Your carbine is a postwar rebuild, not considered collectible. However, it is a shooter and worth between $550 and $700, whatever the market will bear.