M1 Carbine Shooters

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by 22WRF, Aug 31, 2004.

1. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Just wondering how many Carbine shooters here are here and if they shoot them alot.

Also do you reload?

Maybe this belongs on some other forum?
  2. buffalo jump

buffalo jump New Member

I have one that I shoot alot. That's what I use in the military shoots.
  3. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

Had one - first self purchased centerfire, as a matter of fact. Decent Universal copy of the military gun. Shot it a lot using cheap PMC stuff and mil-surplus mainly.

I saw that Kahr is tooling up to make the M1 again - with all the military goodies - bayo lug, etc. The pictures look pretty good. If the quality is as nice as my Thompson copy, it'll be nice!!
  4. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

This is for those that keep telling me the Carbine is not accurate

50 yrds
    2 1/2 X Tasco
    Load 110 Speer RDN 13.6 gr IMR 4195
    X-Ring is 1"

Attached Files:

• m1.jpg
      m1.jpg
      File size:
      16.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2004
  5. mauserman454

mauserman454 New Member

I have an IMI made carbine. They stopped making them a few years ago. I love mine, and shoot it quite frequently. It is very accurate, and cheap to shoot as well...

I reload for mine, using H-110 powder and Remington 110 grain FMJs from Midway....
  6. Silver72

Silver72 New Member

I love 'em all!

[​IMG]
  7. offeror

offeror New Member

You betcha. Mine is an Underwood re-import, if my memory holds up, in excellent condition. It isn't a breeze to check the maker since the stamp is under the rear sight. I sanded & oiled the stock back to near new condition when I got this one around 1985 and it has been a flawless shooter for 20 years. The reliability of mine has approached that of my AK. My dad has a Universal civilian model which will eventually be mine as well (hopefully, a long time from now). Dad is a WWII veteran who trained on the Garand, and later bought the Universal during the civil rights strife in '65-66, because he knew its capabilities and that our family could all learn to handle it. He taught us boys to shoot it to defend ourselves at home, "just in case." I found out later that he never mentioned that training session to Mom, who is, shall we say, a worrier akin to Ralphie's mom in 'A Christmas Story.'

I don't reload; I much prefer to buy my cased and HP ammo in bulk for it. It's a still a good light utility rifle which can double for defense, and these are not so expensive that one can't put it in the trunk of the car for a bit of knocking around if one is so inclined. I always find extra confidence when a firearm was made to hold up in wartime and these are robust and hardy guns. It also happens to be a darned attractive carbine which I never get tired of handling.

The only minor "challenge" of these for me is the pitch and volume of the sound of firing. I don't remember being bothered by it as a kid but I find it sharp and penetrating nowadays, especially under the rain awning at the outdoor range, so prefer to fire it out in the open or with earplugs.
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2004
  8. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Mine is a Universal, a very low ser# one 44xxx.
    Made when Universal was still assembling them from GI parts.

I have seen a few of the late ones made when Universal ran out of GI parts and made there own. Easy to spot one of these from the stamped parts rather than milled.

I have a Tasco 2 1/2x scope on mine now. The only problem is the mount is starting to take a beating from the ejected rounds.

I got rid of a Norinco SKS to buy this a decision I don't regret

Attached Files:

• m-1.JPG
      m-1.JPG
      File size:
      12.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2004
  9. farmerjones501

farmerjones501 New Member

I inherited my Winchester carbine from my grandpa who passed away when I was quite young. This gun really sparked my interest in shooting, because it didn't kick a lot, so it wasn't intimidating, but it still had a reasonable amount of firepower which made it fun. It also got me interested in the military and now I'm in NROTC and working my way to becoming a Naval Aviator.

I used to shoot my carbine all the time, but now it seems like it jams so much, no matter what ammo I use or how much I clean it. I'm over 18 now and I have a much bigger selection so now I find myself shooting my other guns like my ak or my mauser. If it didn't jam so much, I would say it was the funnest (yes I know it's not actually a word) gun I've ever shot.
  10. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Welcome to TFF, Farmerjones!! Thanks for your story. It's great to hear the story behind a particular firearm. We look forward to hearing more from you. :)
  11. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

You might want to clean the gas system on the gun and replace the recoil spring. That should bring it right back to firing order fast! Good luck!
  12. ShakyJake

ShakyJake New Member

My M1 carbine has the typical flip type peep sight which I hate.

Several weeks now I have been trying to find a replacement "open" rear sight, Preferably adjustable.

Please HELP.......
  13. Kentuckian

Kentuckian New Member

I don't shoot mine often, but I do reload for it.
  14. nitrox

nitrox New Member

I bring my carbine to the range at least once a month and i am very happy with it. Its light, easy to carry,fun to shoot and i used it as my home defense rifle.
    I just bought and replaced the whole spring system of the rifle.
    I plan to change the flip sight.. but on second thought.. I'll just install a Ultimak M6 mount and put an aimpoint comp m2sights.heheh..
    the only disadvantage is the bullet price other than that.. i love it..
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2006
  15. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

In the latest issue of Combat Arms they had a blurb that Corbon is making a "hot" .30 carbine round with some kind of "revolutionary" powder and bullet that is supposed to make it a "viable" defense weapon.

They said that supposedly MI was going to start making them again, and that we should see more manufacturers jump back in with them too. Plus some company in Israel makes a short bullpup "PDW" that is popular with the Jewish civilians, that uses the .30 Carbine and the stock military 30 rd mags, that is supposed to be on the market here soon.
  16. Ursus

Ursus New Member

I have always liked the .30 carbine and wouldn't hesitate using it for home defense.(Altough I recon there are better options). In fact, years ago I owned a selective fire one. 20 years ago it was possible to own such a weapon here. I sold it years ago, and I still kick myself for that. I am looking for one now but I've learned that ammo is gettin scarce here.
  17. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

20 years ago you might just have had to USE it on some commie, right Ursus?:eek:
  18. Ursus

Ursus New Member

You're fast!!!. On a second tought, I coul'd put it to good use nowadays. That's why the commies here want to ban gun ownership
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2006
  19. nitrox

nitrox New Member

Thats good to hear.. knowing the recent development of the.30Cal. ammo and being popular with the jewish civilians in israel. They should know better. they live in constant threat 24/7.

The unit i am using is an M1 that was converted into an M2 (full auto). I tried it at the range a few times. the recoil was minimal just like shooting an MP5.
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2006
  20. DFW65

DFW65 New Member

My wife has a nice National Postal Meter carbine. We don't reload so we generally buy by the case.