The Firearms Forum banner

M1 Carbine (Underwood)

5K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  NavyChief 
#1 ·
Recently inherited a long sleeping collection of long and hand guns. In particular, a Underwood M1 Carbine that was sporterized probably back in the 50's. The gun is part of a collection which included several 1903's (Springfields, Remingtons and Smith Coronas) a couple were left in military configuration while the rest were sporterized for target shooting. The original owner was a competitive shooter so all were modified for targets not hunting. The collection also included an early H&R USRA Model 195, a Colt Woodsman 1st Series along with .38, .44 and 357 Colts and S&W's all with match/target sights.

My question is should I return the M1 to Military configuration or leave it as modified. I plan to target shoot only (with all of them).

Thoughts?

#2 ·
Pictures would be great. I cannot imagine how (or why) you would 'sporterize' an M1 Carbine. Those little Carbines, while really fun to shoot, are not accurate enough for competition Match Shooting (unless you are shooting against other Carbines), and underpowered for most big game hunting.

As to your question of whether or not to restore it, unless something really radical has been done to it, it should be an easey thing to do. The Carbines are a bit pricey when you look to buy an original, decent and shootable one. I'd expext an Underwood M1 Carbine in nice shape to fetch at least $500, and maybe even upwards from that.

If you go the restoration route, I'd recommend that you study up on them first, and determine the stamps and markings that belong to an Underwood, then search out those parts specifically. There were MANY out fits that made the M1 Carbine during WW2, and most had markings and stamping unique to each maker. Be kind of a fun project to get into. Good Luck!

#3 ·
Thanks for the advice. I, also, don't understand why it was sporterized except that all the 1903's, with two exceptions, were done so. I didn't mention in the earlier post but the M1 Carbine also has a scope mounted. Don't understand that either. Perhaps he just liked to try to do the best with a gun not normally suited to precision shooting. Then again, this was done over 60 years ago when these guns could be purchased for $25 or so.

The cache that included 14 long guns and 8 handguns had been carefully put away in long term storage in the early 70's and also included a dozen original 1903 handguards, 4 stocks and 10 barrels still in the box from Rock Island. There is also an early 1922 Springfield that was sporterized but the original stock is there so that is definitely going back to original.

I look forward to putting the M1 and 1922 back to original and going to the range.

#4 ·
When I was restoring my NPM M-1 carbine, I found BavarianM1Carbines.com to be a useful reference as a starting point and decided to go the "Historically Accurate" route instead of the "Historically Authentic" (and much more expensive) route.

#7 ·
Yes - I have attached a couple photos taken when it first was uncovered from its long sleep - you will see it has not been cleaned. One of these days I will spend some time with it and the others and my cleaning kit.

The Mannlicher Stock is growing on me. I might just keep it in that configuration.

What are your thoughts?

Paul

Attachments

#8 ·
I'd leave it like it is--the lyman peep sight required two holes drilled and tapped in the receiver and I suspect the same is true of the scope mount. Not worth restoring--you'd sink more money into it than you would spend buying a decent original. And, the safety indicates it was rearsenaled after the war, probably in the early 1950s.

#10 ·
I am a huge fan of un-cut military rifles - and especially so for Springfields and M1 Carbines. BUT..... That stock and setup on that Carbine of yours is pretty unique. I kind of like it.

The Carbine is too far gone to be re-done. It *could be* salvaged by filling/welding in the holes that have been drilled and tapped for the rear sight and scope mount base, but that would be pricey and still likely noticeable. Also, there is a good chance that the receiver would be weakend by any welding of that sort. Just enjoy it as-is. It's really kind of nice in it's own way.

#11 ·
I am a huge fan of un-cut military rifles - and especially so for Springfields and M1 Carbines. BUT..... That stock and setup on that Carbine of yours is pretty unique. I kind of like it.

The Carbine is too far gone to be re-done. It *could be* salvaged by filling/welding in the holes that have been drilled and tapped for the rear sight and scope mount base, but that would be pricey and still likely noticeable. Also, there is a good chance that the receiver would be weakend by any welding of that sort. Just enjoy it as-is. It's really kind of nice in it's own way.
:yeahthat:

It's a shame that that M1 had so much destructive work done to it, but it might be more valuable to the OP as a family heirloom than anything else.

#12 ·
It's kind of a shame it was modified at all. Since it is the way it is, I'm with the other guys. Leave it as is. Take it out and shoot it every now and then just for the heck of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.