M1 Carbine - Why the dislike?

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 7, 2003.

1. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

The US home of Glocks is in holsters of cops who never really learned how to shoot a pistol, isn't it? :cool:
  2. More like in the holsters of discerning minons of the law who appreciate fine, functional weaponry, Polish, and are not still wedded to obsolete, 19th century technology in a 21st century world. :D ;) :cool:
  3. wolfgang2000

wolfgang2000 New Member

At least Glock users are not afraid to keep a round in the chamber! :eek:
    :D :D
    The fact the cops that are not "shooters" can master the Glock proves not just the mechanical superiority of the Glock but the superior handleing characteristics, and it's natural pointing ability. :D :D :D :D :D
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2006
  4. polishshooter

OMIGOD, the Glockies are taking over the HISTORY forum!

Did THEY come from Katrina like the Louisiana Monster house eating Bugs too?!?!? :eek:

EEEEEEEEeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyuuuuuuuuuckkkk........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :confused:

Get them their own forum quick, so we can QUARANTINE them!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

But until then I think I can hold them off! :cool: :cool: :cool:
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2006
  5. We're coming to take you away, ha ha; we're coming to take you away! ;)

Glockies of the world unite! You have nothing to loose but your chains! :D
  6. wolfgang2000

wolfgang2000 New Member

7. polishshooter

Shouldn't be too hard, Wolfie and shootzer, the Glockies' CHAINS are probably tupperware too... :cool:
  8. wolfgang2000

wolfgang2000 New Member

TRUE!!! But you can twist and bend tubberware and it springs back!!!

Pot metal just cracks. :eek:
  9. Face it, Polish: high buckle shoes, Coca Cola with cocaine in it, horse-drawn cabs, the P-40 fighter, and 1911 Colts are now obsolete! ;)

Not to worry though, the Great Glock Collective will eventually encompass you too, Polish. :cool:

You too will be assimilated. Resistance is futile!!! :p
  10. Bernie109

Bernie109 Former Guest

I love the feel and the looks of the M-1 Carbine. I only wish it had something more comming out of the muzzle. Of course, Carbine + more potent cartidge = Mini 14 or Mini 30!

Reports from the Sandbox indicate that the M-4 Carbine is suffering the same fate as the M-1. Like the M-1, the M-4 is preferred by the troops because it is lighter and more compact. Even though it uses the same ammo as the M-16, the shorter barrel deprives the 5.56 of the one thing it needs to work...Velocity.

Navy EOD is now issued M-4's. Although we are told never to load them.
    "If attacked, find a Marine and hide behind him" we are always told.
    On one of the rare occasions we did get to practice patrol and counter ambush, we had marines envying our M-4's. Never though I would see the day, Marines wishing they had Navy weapons!
  11. Red Neck64

Red Neck64 Former Guest

As a firearm I hold no prejudice for the M-1 Carbine ,but as a weapon I do it is short on stopping power.And stopping is what you want when encountering the enemy combatant .Chambered in 45 caliber I would consider it a fine close encounter weapon,as I consider the grease gun in 45 caliber a true man stopper.
  12. nitrox

nitrox New Member

Re: .30 Cal. used by US troops on recent exercise

just want to let you know what i heard that at the recent Philippine American military joint exercise held last Febuary known as BALIKATAN 2006 in the Philippines. there was an unconfirmed report that American Troops where using .30cal CARBINE rounds on the firing range using M16 rifles. they have conversion kits with them.

I really dont know if this is true or not, but it's something to think of.
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2006
  13. Bernie109

Bernie109 Former Guest

I love the look and feel of the carbine. The ammo is expensive and does not do very well. A Carbine chabered for a more powerful round would fit the bill perfectly. Can nybody say Ruger mini-14 or mini-30? Either one of these are little more than an carbine chambered for a more powerful cartidge.
    I still like the look and feel of the original 30 though.
  14. nitrox

nitrox New Member

Bought a carbine recently from a friend for only $190. It in good condition. i always bring it with me when i stay overnight in my farm. Its a collector item and a gun i dont mind using to protect my family. i believe its better than a handgun and easy to handle.

I always bring in to the range and have fun with it. it kicks like a 22 and hits like a 357 magnum. what more can i ask.
  15. polishshooter

Better adjust that sear Nitrox, you doubled!:D

But Welcome!

I was reading in a Combat Arms mag I picked up last week because of an in depth article on the x54R round and it's uses today, and they had a teaser in the "notes" section that CorBon is close to manufacturing a "hot" .30 Carbine round designed to work in the carbines and clones, and give them a "whole lot" more power that will make them "serious" battle weapons...it said something like they have been playing with it for years with "revolutionary" bullets and powder for the case...

Has anybody heard anything else about this?
  16. Hmmm, one might say it is "Pi in the sky," Polish, but that would be a horrible pun. :eek: :D

I haven't read anything on it, but with modern powders and bullet designs, I don't see why it couldn't be done. I've always liked the little carbine as a shooter. If they can make it effective enough I could see many uses for it, or a more modern version of it, on the modern battlefield.
  17. WhiskeyRunner

WhiskeyRunner New Member

Found this forum this evening and youall sound like my kind of people. As crazy as I am and as full of it as I am.
    Now for my 2 cents worth on the M1 Carbine. I just bought my first one this past Sundy at a gun show in Tyler, Tx. I have always wanted one because it reminds me of my dad who carried an M1 Carbine in WW2 and it was the first rifle my dad let me shoot when I was about 8 yrs. old. I had a few reloads left over from a Ruger Blackhawk .30 carbine I used to have. I took it out to my range Monday morning and at 50 yrds., the accuracy was plenty good enough for hog hunting.(yes, I have a range set up in my hay meadow) I'm going to work up a load using Hornady's 110gr. JSP with H110 powder. I'm sure it will shoot even better when I find the combo it likes best.
    The best all around personal protection firearm is the one you shoot best and have the most confidence in. I have a Taurus PT1911 .45acp loaded with 200gr. Hornady XTP's and at 15 yrds., I don't miss a head shot in practice. Hope I can do that well in a real life situation if it ever comes to that.
    Until next time, keep your powder dry and your gun loaded..
  18. Navy CWO5

Navy CWO5 New Member

A few months ago I puchased one of the Auto Ordnance M1 Carbines. My thoughts were that at my age (53) I can still shoot anything but in 20 or so years how much pounding from a 308 or 30-06 could I handle. I have the appropriate shotguns/pistols (45 of course) but wanted something fun now and a SHTF rifle for my later years when the "Goblins/Commies" are bolder than they are now. My M1 Carbine has been flawless. NO misfires and at 100 yards I can cover my shots with my hand. So dislike it if you will but I am a well pleased M1 Carbine owner.

Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser.
  19. wabryan1

wabryan1 New Member

Is your question about the M1 carbine or what would be a good gun for your wife? As for the wife, I would get her a .410 pump. Even the dumbest scrote recognizes that sound. There is little recoil, it hits hard and you won't have a lot of errant weight heading down range.
    The M1 carbine is just a wild guess to try to arm "rear" troops who don't shoot for a living and couldn't hit a barn w/ the 45. It wouldn't even punch through commie uniforms. That lesson was learned in the Philippines a generation before.
  20. rundownfid

rundownfid New Member

Jim Cirillo and the "Stake Out Squad" in NYC used the Carbine extensively and with great effect. Of course they used expanding ammunition, not ball ammo. and the result was one of the best man stoppers they employed, including the 12 Ga.

In GI guise with ball ammo the .30 carbine was of limited value; but as a home defense or truck gun I believe it would give very creditable service.