1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

M1 Carbine

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Larry2582, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Larry2582

Larry2582 New Member

I have a ibm corp m1 carbine that was giving to me by my dad a few years back. I want to get work done on it etc blue the barrel oil check firing pin etc. Im not sure if its worth anthing more than centamental value at this point or not. The serial number is 3775792. it has a switch saftey instead of push button and iron sights. wood is in good shape but where a strap would have gone seems that maybe my grandfather or great uncle had it patched. i tryed to find out more info but cant find anything on the internet that will tell me more than generic info. this gun will be passed down. Its a great gun. im just curious if it goes in the safe or if it can stay on the rack in the living room ?
  2. Squeak

Squeak Member

You haven't given us a whole lot of information as to the overall condition of this carbine, but in MY PERSONAL OPINION, IBM is a REAL good manufacturer & a good collector rifle.
    Without any more info or pictures (yeah, I don't know how to do pictures either) - - I'd keep it well out of sight if I were you.
  3. 25yretcoastie

25yretcoastie Member

Do you know where your dad got it from?
  4. Larry2582

Larry2582 New Member

my dad got it from his dad. He says it was from the war, he brought that and a supposed german revolver nack with him . To be so old its in great condition. The stock as i said has to patch plugs where the straps would have went. beautiful wood. Some deep marks. but metal is great no rust and wood has not been refinished. I also have the original bayonet.
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  5. 25yretcoastie

25yretcoastie Member

Is it All IBM or just the barrel and reciever if it was a GI rebuild could be worth 400 to 600 but hard to tell with no pics. If its all IBM correct with all internals, could be worth much more. At the very least have it inspected by someone who knows, and fire it a few times. They are great shooters.
  6. Larry2582

Larry2582 New Member

i shoot it often great gun. ill post pics of it tom afternoon when i get home. ty for ur help
  7. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

Don't blue the barrel. They were not blued originally. Does it have adjustable sight or the "L" shaped sight? Carbines have increased dramatically in value. The DCM sold them for $20 in the 1960s but now worth in the hundreds. Good one will bring $700 or so
  8. Larry2582

Larry2582 New Member

bad pics but best i can do with my iphone

Attached Files:

9. Jim K

Jim K New Member

It looks like the sling slot is filled in with plastic wood or something like that. If it were my gun I would try to remove the filler and restore the stock to what it was originally.

Jim
  10. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Active Member

It may be a post wwII rebuild given the switch safety and rear sight. Does it have a bayonet lug? Jim is right, that does look like plastic wood filler, which may be fairly easy to remove without damaging the wood. DO NOT refinish the wood or reblue the barrel or any part of the gun--you will ruin the value.
  11. Larry2582

Larry2582 New Member

it does have a bayonet lug and i do have the bayonet and it locks on.the filler is wood working on taking it out now.
  12. Buffalochip

If it has the bayonet lug, adjustable rear sight, and lever/switch style safety--those parts are all post ww2 and it is most likely an early 1950s rearsenaled ww2 vintage carbine. If you look closely at the markings near the front sight, you will likely see a date, e.g., 12 43, for December 1943. It also likely has a mix of parts, which is just the nature of the beast. Very few of these guns exist in their original configuration. BUT it is collectible and has value just as it is! These guns in excellent condition or bring a grand or more here on the east coast.
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  13. roundball

roundball Member

I was my understanding the adjustable rear sights could have been installed during the war. Sometimes this installation was done in the field. Is this correct? Thanks for the help.
  14. Buffalochip

Yes, but I believe it would have been milled and not stamped--can't tell what your's is. But if it has the bayonet lug and lever type safety, it was most likely rearsenaled after the war.