M1 Carbine

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by exfarmer, Mar 16, 2007.

1. exfarmer

exfarmer New Member

A couple of years ago I went to a gun show, found a little M1, always wanted one, price was great, --- (did not know squat about "Universal" brand) ended up at gunsmith, who determined that chamber was bad. Needs new barrel. Can not find one anywhere, Numrich shows one in stock, but it ain't there. So carbine is still in the shop. I did not pay much for it - so I have not lost a lot. But before I bold it to the wall and hang a flower pot from it. I wonder if the barrel could be bored to different caliber? could it be sleeved to fire a different caliber? I am not whining about what I bought or how much money I've spent. -- just wondering what I could do with it - other than turn it into a plant holder.
  2. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Is it a Universal???? Is it a flat top or round top bolt??

If so they used USGI parts in many of their early carbines around the first 20%.
    The next 30% a mixture of GI and in house produced.
    After that it was down hill to the double recoil spring stamped parts not treated crap.

I really see no reason that you can't try a USGI barrel on a early one

Whats the ser# on yours? There were somewhere around 2.5 million Universals produced
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2007
  3. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

The GI barrel will work.
    Bill
  4. Light Coat

Light Coat New Member

I wouldn't put much faith in Numrich as a gauge for parts availability. Haven't been able to find anything "in stock" lately. A few gunsmiths have remarked on receiving the wrong parts from there.

Have not got the valuable minutes right now; but, I will try to find you a wholesaler who has some old new stock replacement parts for military rifles. As stated though the barrels are the same throughout the production range as far as fitting goes. I would always expect to have to head space and truncate the breech on any barrel I puchased for a rifle. A poor intallation and your new barrel may last for a very short time. I will also check my small stock of military barrels I have picked up at auctions and garage sales and see what I have that may help.
  5. exfarmer

exfarmer New Member

Thanks -- First time someone suggested a positive fix rather than "chunk it"
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Another thought, if you reload, is to have the barrel relined to 22, and chambered for the 5.7 Johnson Spitfire.

http://www.imageseek.com/5.7mm/

Melvin Johnson (of Johnson automatic rifle fame) came up with this. Basically just a 30 carbine necked down to 22.
  7. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

The barrel will have to be installed by a competent gunsmith with the proper tools.
    Bill
  8. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Judging from the price of new M1 carbine barrels (around $150 plus the cost of gunsmithing), repairing it is impractical, so I think you are stuck with a wall hanger. You would probably do best if you salvage the parts and sell them.