M1 carbine

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by zkovach, Mar 8, 2010.

1. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

I aquired an imported m1 carbine that i wanted to use for general plinking. I found a scope mount that doesnt change the gun in any way, so its value is kept. Check it out.

Attached Files:

2. Tom

Tom Member

I have an M-1 Carbine and I found I had a SIG mini red dot I wasn't using, so I got the Ultamak mount for my carbine that clamps to the barrel, replacing the upper handguard and mounted the red dot. It works very well. Enclosed is a photo from the ULTAMAK website. The MicroT1 looks identical to the SIG sight. I am very pleased with how mine shoots with it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  3. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

did u have that parkerised or blued?
  4. big steve

big steve New Member

that is extremely cool
  5. wpage

wpage Active Member

That is nice. Let us know how you like it after you pump a few at the range...
  6. Tom

Tom Member

Here is a photo of mine with the SIG red dot. Mine works very well and helps maximize the accuracy from my carbine.

Attached Files:

7. TG-

TG- New Member

I have shot my Grandpa's M1 carbine that he got from his tour in Korea. It still has all original parts. Awesome, awesome gun. Its got one hell of a kick though.
  8. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I don't intend to offend anyone, but I just can't see taking a classic firearm like the M1 Carbine and putting optics on them. It just seems like blasphemy to me. Call me old fashioned, but I'm sorry!
  9. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

You sure it's a carbine and not a Garand? If it's a carbine with that much kick, then something is wrong with the gun or some hot hot ammo.

or maybe an M14?
  10. woolleyworm

you're old fashioned ! :D:D
    I don't think the putting optics on them is any different than what happened to alot of military rifles after the war and even today; many of them are sporterized. If it is a pristine example and a collectible rifle in it's military configuration, then I'd be hesitant to do any permanent mods, but there are thousands(x100) carbines out there, may as well personalize one and make it your own.

Would make me cringe more to start cutting barrels and rechambering if anything. For comparisons sake I would like to shoot a carbine with optics and see what it's capable of.
  11. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

at the risk of also sounding old fashioned too ( and i already know i am ) optics on a carbine ? these things were made for short distance shooting and as is one very acurate rifle as long as you understand its' limitations. optics on a carbine is like installing a bomb site on a cessna.
  12. TG-

TG- New Member

I'm positive that it was a carbine. It probably felt like it had so much recoil because it was the first gun higher than a .22 I had shot. That and I was only 14. But your right, If I went back and tried it now I doubt it would be as bad I remember.
  13. woolleyworm

I can certainly see that if you were 14 and didn't have the stock firmly in the shoulder, you could get a decent pop from recoil. I also learned that lesson pretty early on with my 20ga, only happened once ! :D

The Garands are still rough on the shoulder after 25-30 rounds even now. I gotta lot of respect for those guys that had to shoulder them daily during wartime.
  14. wpage

wpage Active Member

Wish there were a good way to put optics on my garand...
  15. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Blasphemy, pure blasphemy!:D:D:p
  16. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

I really like the way this turned out. And i understand what you mean but i can change it back anytime i want. There was no drilling or permanent changes to the gun itself. i think this reflex sight is a great addition and worked great at the range!!!

Attached Files:

17. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

i believe there is. You can find a lot of aftermarket parts that requires no gunsmithing. I did have a gunsmith change out the sight on my m1 carbine but i read they were quite fussy and didnt have the tools to do so.
  18. Tom

Tom Member

I personally feel if you can put optics on a collectable without doing any damage, it is ok. I put on the Ultamak base. It is easily removable with no damage to the gun, but while it is on, it significantly improves a good combat rifle.
  19. williamd

williamd New Member

My only current 30Carbine is a Ruger Blackhawk ... don't ask me why as I have no good answer. With a red dot it is kinda fun, that's about it. Have had a few M1 Carbines. Never been a fan of the cartridge as it does so little (my opinion) but an Uncle said he sure liked carrying ti more than the M1 Garand in WW II. :) I can undestand that.
  20. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

gotta agree with you there! I got this gun as a home defense/ World goes to crap gun. The theory of the condom comes to mind. Id rather have it and not need it... then need it and not have it!