M1 carbine

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by zkovach, Mar 8, 2010.

1. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

I really like the way this turned out. And i understand what you mean but i can change it back anytime i want. There was no drilling or permanent changes to the gun itself. i think this reflex sight is a great addition and worked great at the range!!!

Attached Files:

2. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

i believe there is. You can find a lot of aftermarket parts that requires no gunsmithing. I did have a gunsmith change out the sight on my m1 carbine but i read they were quite fussy and didnt have the tools to do so.
  3. Tom

Tom Member

I personally feel if you can put optics on a collectable without doing any damage, it is ok. I put on the Ultamak base. It is easily removable with no damage to the gun, but while it is on, it significantly improves a good combat rifle.
  4. williamd

williamd New Member

My only current 30Carbine is a Ruger Blackhawk ... don't ask me why as I have no good answer. With a red dot it is kinda fun, that's about it. Have had a few M1 Carbines. Never been a fan of the cartridge as it does so little (my opinion) but an Uncle said he sure liked carrying ti more than the M1 Garand in WW II. :) I can undestand that.
  5. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

gotta agree with you there! I got this gun as a home defense/ World goes to crap gun. The theory of the condom comes to mind. Id rather have it and not need it... then need it and not have it!
  6. hurley

hurley New Member

where did you find the mount and how much?
  7. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

on sportsmanguide and it was about 20-30 if i remember right
  8. grampawmike

grampawmike New Member

I know that to purists the modification of any kind to MILSURP weapons is a no no, but that being said, here is an Inland .30 Carbine that I built up for my son when he was about 13....that was almost 25 yrs ago. The gun is unchanged...just the stock....no mod to the weapon for the addition of the scope.

[​IMG]
  9. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

looks pretty sharp! where did you get that stock.
  10. grampawmike

grampawmike New Member

How I acquired it is a long story, but it is a Fajen stock made back in the 60's. Had a hell of a time getting the upper handguard. Mike
  11. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    I'm with you on this one, putting some new fangled wing dang doodle on an old veteran :eek:. How could you? :mad::p:p TJ
  12. xm774u

xm774u Former Guest

blasphemy my eyes are bleeding and now i wont sleep for days . carbine williams
    "the inventor" also said to tell you blasphemy . lol nice carbine i know youll do the right thing and take the scope off
  13. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I will give in,:eek: just a little, on this one -- that is a pretty rifle!!:D
  14. Inthewind1976

Inthewind1976 Member

Back in the early 1960's, when the Carbine was still being issued, and DCM was selling em for about $12, my father and quite a few other employees of the local steel mill purchased em, and gave them to another steel mill coworker, who was also a fairly well known local gunsmith. The 'Smith would cut off the finger handle on the bolt, and weld a length of square barstock in its place, that extended forward (towards the muzzle) approximately 10" or so. He would then weld a Ushaped "collar" to the end of the barstock, slim the forend to about 1/2 its original thickness, and make a "slide handle" that would fit OVER the narrow forend and screw it to the "U" - converting the Carbine to a "pump." He would then drill and tap the receiver and mount weaver type bases. Since semiautomatic rifles arent permitted for hunting in Pennsyltucky the owners had "pump" Carbines with scopes; ours wearing an old Bushnell Banner 4x. Many were left in .30 Carb, while others were rechambered to Hornets or Bee's. Dad's remained a .30Carb and was my first "deer rifle" @ age 12, using "Peters High Velocity 110gr Softpoints." I have never seen this particular conversion anywhere outside of our little central PA community. Dad has been gone nearly 40 years now, but I still have that little "oddity" and it will hopefully remain in our family always. When I get the chance, I will provide a photo of this cute/ugly little duckling. FYI - when hunting in very wet conditions, the removal of the wood-on-wood pump handle and the application of Pledge to the underneath forend is a NECESSITY. I also have an "unbutchered" Carbine as well, and love to shoot that little thing with its original "peep/ghost ring."
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2010