m1 carbine

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by zkovach, Mar 8, 2010.

1. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

I picked up a M1 Carbine and was looking at reloading dies. Quick question the dies i saw in their description had t.c. in it. Are those for thompson contenders or what? I just want to make sure i pick up the right ones. by the way here is a pic.

Attached Files:

2. res45

res45 Member

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I have the LEE carbide .30 carbine dies. Heres a helpful tip for loading .30 carbine. When you full length resize apply case lube to the cases even if you have a carbide die set. The .30 carbine brass is rather thick and needs the extra lube to get the cases squished down without bending or breaking the toggles on your press.
  4. medalguy

medalguy Member

Also be sure you trim the cases to the proper length EVERY TIME you reload. This is vital because the carbine headspaces on the case mouth and if you don't trim, if the cases are too long you can have an out of battery explosion which can really ruin your day and your carbine.:eek:
  5. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

I already bought the lee trim lenght gauge for it. I just need to run out and get the dies. I was actually amazed at how cheap brass, bullets, and ammo is for the carbine. It was a nice bonus after getting the gun!
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

the one my wife hunts with is an inland GM prewar. I put a boyds stock on it and a millet reddot, Her deer and hog load is a 90 gr XTP over 16 gr of H110. Its good for about 2300 fps from the carbine barrel and shoots nice 1.5 inch groups at 50 yds. Awesome for a carbine, and the bullets expand to nearly 3/4 inch in diameter out to 100 yds in a barrel of water... I aint never recovered one from a deer or a hog though, They pass through.