1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

M1 Garand Barrel

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Elvio, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Elvio

Elvio New Member

I'm looking for a source for a copy of the ordnance M1 barrel drawing plate(s) or a link. I'm in the process of building an M1 in 260 Rem but since the barrel isn't available commercially (and Roland wont be available until December!) I have to get those hamsters running the lathe and mill in shape and turn my own.
    If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it.
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

There is such a drawing in Jerry Kuhnhausen's book "The US .30 Caliber Gas Operated Service Rifles..a Shop Manual..Vol. 1 & 2" on page 95. I can't copy it for you as it is copywritten but the manual is invaluable for what you are doing. Well worth the money to buy. Try Amazon.com.

LDBennett
  3. Elvio

Elvio New Member

I love that book and was my first source of information, mine gets a lot of use. But with all respect to Kuhnhausen, the drawing details in the book isn't sufficient to machine a barrel from. There are other dimensions necessary.
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

The drawing certainly gives all the external dimensions. If you have an original barrel and that drawing why can't you reverse engineer it to get to a new barrel of a different caliber?

LDBennett
  5. Elvio

Elvio New Member

Some of the most important dimensions are missing...breech cuts, depths and angles. Gas cylinder shoulder depths and angles along with location, depth and length of slots...no doubt I can get one to go "bang" but I don't want to experiment and second guess. There's enough of that even with drawings, let alone without. I prefer drawings to start from.