The Firearms Forum banner

M1 Garand didn't cycle

947 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  LDBennett 
#1 ·
For you M1 Garand users that may have a problem with the gun not fully cycling, your problem may be the fit of the pistol on the end of the operating rod and the gas cylinder.

My Beretta parts in a CAI receiver M1 Garand started to no longer fully cycle with my reloads which had worked before. It turned out that the piston was in the middle of its tolerance range but the gas cylinder internal diameter was very out side of its tolerance range. I made up a plug gage sized to the max allowable bore diameter and the gage rattled around inside the gas cylinder. A known good used one would not even accept this plug gage at all so the piston to cylinder clearance is now well within M1 Garand specs. We are only talking a few thousands excess clearance but that was enough to impact the cycling of the gun.

And don't forget to check the gas hole in the barrel. Mine was fine.

If you don't have access to Jerry Kuhnhausen book on the Garand or the specs just PM me and I'll give them to you.

LDBennett

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.