M1 Garand International Harvester

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by JSJFC, Oct 12, 2012.

1. JSJFC

JSJFC New Member

This is a 1953 International Harvester that I'm thinking about selling. I have two questions: 1. How much is it worth as is, and 2, If I have it re-parkerized, would that decrease or increase the value.
    This M1 has all IHC parts and LMR barrel. There is pitting on the receiver as you can see in the photos. The bore is is clean and shinny and the rifle functions and shoots well.

Attached Files:

• m11.jpg
      m11.jpg
      File size:
      44.1 KB
      Views:
    • m12.jpg
      m12.jpg
      File size:
      107.6 KB
      Views:
    • m13.jpg
      m13.jpg
      File size:
      98.8 KB
      Views:
    • m16.jpg
      m16.jpg
      File size:
      77.8 KB
      Views:
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Around here, run-of-mine M1 rifles sell for about $600-800. I would say yours would fall in the lower end due to the condition. That pitting is pretty deep and the stock is in poor condition; refinishing, unless you can do it yourself, would cost about what extra amount it would bring on a sale.

Jim
  3. CHW2021

CHW2021 Member

Value is right about where Jim put it, you could deduct about 100-150 if it is import marked (usually Blue Sky). The lmr barrel is a plus, it is offset by the pitting for value. Should you invest in re-park and stock finishing I would doubt you will recover the investment.
    Why are you looking to sell?
  4. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Jim K and CHW2021 are both right (Jim K is almost ALWAYS right) about your rifle. Looks pretty fair to me, especially if the bore is as good as you said. A Blue Sky import mark is the kiss of death around here, because of their reputation for importing scrap metal guns. Hope your's doesn't have it.......

You might consider leaving it as-is. The stock looks decent to me from the pictures, and would be even better if the stock stampings are intact (like a "P" on the grip, maybe inspection or rebuild stampings on the left rear side of the receiver, ect.

A new stock set will set you back somewhere around $150 to $200. A good re-parkerize job would be another $150 or so. Problem with both is that you take away from the originality of the rifle. Might pretty it up, but you won't really get anything in return in value. My two little pennies here is just to leave it as is. I don't think you'd be hard-pressed to get nearlly $700 for it as it stands, if you are patient and find the right buyer. I think $600 would be a fast sale price.
  5. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Sounds about right to me.

Unless a pawn shop gets ahold of it, then,

of course, it would be worth 1100$...:confused:
  6. JSJFC

JSJFC New Member

I have never found any Blue Sky stamps anywhere on the gun, but I will check again.
    CHW2021 - the reason I'm thinking about selling is to raise money for another M1 in better condition.

Thanks you all for your time and input.
  7. Orlando

Orlando Member

Makes a big difference if all parts are IHC and just not the markedparts, also what is the manufacture of the stock. Internal unmarked parts will have letter codes if IHC parts. Hard to tell for sure but the gas cylinder does not appear IHC.
    If you want to pm me with details I can help
  8. Mikebiker

Mikebiker Member

You are doing the right thing to sell this one and upgrade to a better gun. Just keep in mind most Garands are a mixture of parts since nearly all went through the arsenal at least once. An all original one that can be verified is in the 3 to 4 thousand dollar range. A nice DCM gun that never left the US after the arsenal redo is worth more then an import from a lend lease country. There are many books on these gun detailing the details. You need at least one good one to have any idea what is going on with a gun.
  9. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Mike and Orlando, this thread is almost 18 months old. Probably not being watched by the OP any more.