M1 Garand question

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by ardtxus, Sep 26, 2012.

1. ardtxus

ardtxus New Member

I just inherited an old M1 Garand and I am just starting to learn to reload. Can someone plse suggest some "off-the-shelf" ammo for it so I can play around with it and get some brass for reloading. I made the mistake of trying some hunting ammo (before I knew better) that was a little too strong. I checked the op rod and everything appears to be okay. thanx
  2. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

gas guns need some special attention to bullet weights, too big can strain them; a box of ammo is not going to damage it most likely so I doubt you're in any trouble.

Lake City military ammo is king but also hard to aquire or too expensive for most folks.

If you are wanting to reload, I would suggest just getting your hands on some new brass, these things destroy brass and don't expect (or try) to reload shells coming out of this thing more than 3-4 times.

The brand of brass doesn't matter so much as your loading techniques, luckily '06 brass is extremely plenitful and common so you shouldn't have much trouble.

I know American Eagle has stuff for the .308 that is decent enough to get brass from but I think you're better off just buying new brass if you're wanting to reload.

Welcome!
  3. B27

B27 New Member

Federal, under their American Eagle line makes a load tailored for the Garand.
    Has a pic of the M1 right on the box and everything!:)

More importantly, it is loaded with propellants that will not burn so quickly your peak pressure hits while the guns' action is still catching up with it.

You can probably find this cheaper somewhere by the case lot-

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=FAAE3006M1

[​IMG]

That's some of that gorgeous Danish M2 from a few years back.
    I'm saving about 1000 rounds for the zombie apocalypse.
    And .....junk.......
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

ardtxus:

On purchased ammo:

The best deal going is the Greek surplus 30-06 ammo as sold through CMP:

http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/ammo.htm

There are some requirement to buy from them so read all of their page.

The Greek brass is excellent so you would be building your supply of fired brass while shooting ammo intended for the M1 Garand.

If you buy any old surplus ammo be aware of a few things: Is it corrosive; Was it made for the M1 Garand: Does it use reloadable boxer primers or un-reloadable Berdan primers.

On reloading for the M1 Garand:

Todays manuals often have special section for reloading the M1 Garand which use powder best in burn rate for the M1 gas system. Using the wrong powder can hurt the gun (bent operating rod). Don't use a reloading recipe for bolt guns unless it is the same as the specific M1 Garand recipe. Stick to the listed M1 Garand bullet weights too.

If you buy new brass buy only a name brand, like Remington or Winchester or Federal. Have your buddies, that don't reload, save up their commercial empties. Stay away from Brazilian brass as it tends to be thinner and that upsets the neck tension holding the bullet into the case. The best once fired brass you can buy is Lake City (US government) but the primers are crimped or staked in and removing the crimp after removal of the primer is tough. The easiest way is to just buy new bulk Remington or Winchester brass from a search of the Internet for the best deal (Midway is usually NOT the best deal but usually has it).

LDBennett
  5. al45lc

al45lc Active Member

I've had excellent success with American Eagle '06 ammo. It functions well and is very accurate in my DCM Garand.
  6. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

JLA did some serious testing on reloads for the M1 and when he comes along he can probably give you a great recipe to start out with (when you get ready to load some). I agree with LD about the Greek stuff. I bought some cases of it a while back, with some of it being in "spam" cans already loaded in clips.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Yep. I dont find the brass destroying claim. I have some winchester brass thats been loaded prolly 8 times now and still good to go. LC69 brass thats even more than that. My fav load is 155 Amaxes and 48 gr Varget
  8. LDBennett

I have reloaded M1 Garand brass many times and a bunch of it had 1943 head stamps.

Now if you want a brass hammer of a gun then get you one of them Egyptian Hakim in 8mm Mauser. One firing destroys the brass as the action attempts to pull the case out of the chamber before the pressures have subsided enough. Even though it has adjustable gas pressure and you get it adjusted right for the power level of the load you are shooting, it bends up the rim something terrible. It will throw the brass 10 to 15 feet forward. It also dents the case as the case exits the chamber area. I buy surplus ammo, use it once, and throw it away as it is NOT reloadable. I have never had any problems like this with my three M1 Garands.

The opposite of this is when the M1 Garand short cycles. A common problem is the piston on the end of the operating rod is worn or the gas cylinder is excessively worn and gas is escaping around the piston. New parts is the fix. My Beretta M1 Garand suffered that problem and required only a new gas cylinder to get it working again as the piston diameter was in spec.

LDBennett
  9. al45lc

al45lc Active Member

I once told a buddy of mine that his Hakim was just as much a threat to someone flanking from the right as downrange because of the distance it threw brass.
  10. LDBennett

The Hakim is unique looking and operating and is a semi-auto that shoots 8mm Mauser. But it certainly is NOT my favorite semi-auto post WWII semi-auto military rifle. For me it does not compare all that favorably to my FN-FAL or my H&K 91 clone, the PTR-91. My CMP M1 Garand Special Grade is hard to beat out, as well. The Hakim is just unique and that is why I have it. But do stand clear of its ejection port!

LDBennett
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Hakims are neat. but I dont think id ever own one.

8X57 mauser wise. i have been seriously contemplating an MG42 kit. I have always wanted a buzzsaw..
  12. LDBennett

At the time I bought the Hakim most of the semi-auto military guns were off limits for ownership in California. The Hakim was available and not on any Assault Weapon ban list for CA. It was simply a semi-auto rifle much like a M1 Garand, a M1A, aM1 Carbine, or several other semi-auto rifles and totally legal in CA.

The whole thing changed shortly after I got the Hakim as people found the loop hole in the CA AW ban laws. It was limiting the "bad" features, using a tool to remove the magazine (Bullet Button), and limiting the mags to 10 rounds. Since the Hakim I have bought several CA legal so called AW guns: FN-FAL, PTR-91, a couple AR's. If I had know the future and realized how tough the Hakim is on brass I never would have bought it. But I got it now, shoot it occasionally, but have to relearn is operating instruction because it is so unlike any other gun I have. Make a mistake operating the Hakim and you may loose a finger tip! The bolt closes with authority!

LDBennett
  13. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Off the shelf, I always look for 150 grain bullets.

Some of the 30.06 boxes even say "suitable for Garand".
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Not any 150 gr ammo will be safe for garand use. Just about all of todays hunting ammo for the .30-06 is loaded with propellants too slow for the M1 gas system, which means high port pressure and bent op rods.

Make sure you purchase ammo for the M1 that says its for the M1. Milspec M2 ball, foreign or domestic, or Federal M1 Garand. That greek M2 ball is fantastic stuff and the HXP cases are on par with LC milsurp..
  15. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have owned a Hakim for over a year and have never put a round through it. That "bolt cover" thing scared the crap out of me when it slammed shut the first time I played with the rifle. I can see where it could take the end of your finger off.