M1 Garand weird, but in a good way

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by dge479, Sep 5, 2009.

1. dge479

dge479 New Member

I have Springfield M1 Garand, bought it at a gun show in Matamoris Pa. Had it for a couple of years. We had put a new Boyds stock on it. Apparently they make a fatter stock. I dont know if that was an option or just the way they made all of of them. It made the butt plate not fit. My wifes uncle is a solid gun guy as well as a machinist and made uo a new butt plate.
    I was never happy with the aftermarket stock but made due with them anyway.
    Well a problem has been plaguing the gun also where it would fire a multiple burst with one trigger pull. Also it will eject the en bloc clip with 4-5 rounds still live in the clip. Not good.
    We were cleaning and I found the origional wood and put it back on and the 2 problems went away completely. The aftermarket wood did fit a bit tight around the reciever area. Has anyone else had this happen? I am glad its not a mechanical issue, but that was an expensive stock, and their stuff is supposed to be good quality.
    I dont expect any thing back since it has been a couple of years, but I will send an EMail to them so they can recognize if there is an issue in Q.C.
    Again, I am really just happy the thing works great again:D
    Also what does the R.I.A. stamped into the wood stock stand for? Just wondering
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  2. red14

red14 Active Member

Real Ill Add?

Rather Incorrect Adaption?

Reprehensable Inadequate Alteration?

3. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    The RIA was the government depot for reworking and refurbishing military weapons. Rock Island Armory, I believe. TJ
  4. Rocket J Squirl

Rocket J Squirl New Member

Your stock is giving stress to the left side of the reciever. The action moving is making everything do strange things.

You need to find the bind point, and relieve it
  5. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

A few years ago, I bought a complete M1 action (minus the wood) from the CMP in Anniston, AL. I ordered a Boyd's stock for it and it was extremely "fat" on the outside but the area where the receiver entered the wood was very tight. I had to file the inside of the stock down to make the receiver fit into the stock. I did not have the problem that you described with the full auto or the clip ejecting with rounds still in it. I don't understand how it could go full auto.

Like you, I also just could not get used to that fat stock. I finally ended up selling that rifle.
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I've heard, from many sources, that Boyd's stocks are fat. If you want a stock the correct size, get one from the CMP.
  7. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Believe it, because you would be correct! ;)

As far as the new stock having any quality issues, i think it's just a matter of fitting to your particualar receiver; as with any after-market part, some final fit and finish is usually required. Synthetic stocks aren't usually this way, but wood is a different beast. They try to make a stock that is going to fit all receivers for that model. You may just have a very small amount of sanding and possibly have to make a small relief into the stock to properly fit it in yours. Any pics would be appreciated. Gd and Rocket seemed to have already stated this too, well, a little reinforcement never hurts.

Best of Luck to Ya,

Woolley
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  8. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

Don't let ATF find out it was malfunctioning like that. They'll charge you with having an "unregistered machinegun":rolleyes:
  9. miker22

miker22 New Member

Use your original as a pattern and sand the Boyds down. Mine quite a bit slimmer now. For a good stock, the CMP with metal is 149. Dupage supplies them and has them also. There is an article on how to fit a Boyds stock. I'll try to find.
  10. miker22

miker22 New Member

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  11. dge479

dge479 New Member

Thanks guys! I have the old stock on it for now and it works perfect. I may leave it for now and in the future buy one from CMP. I had a feeling the Boyds just needs to be fitted, I just wanted to rule out any other mechanical failure.
  12. dge479

dge479 New Member

I was a bit concerned about that, There were alot of people at the range and you never really know who is who.:D
  13. wpage

wpage Active Member

You could take some chalk and mark your metal and place it in the aftermarket stock. Then file or grind out the binding area. Dremels work nice. The M1 Garand is a very forgiving blunderbuss...
    God Bless John Garand and his miraculous design!