1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

M1 Garand

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

bondai
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/9/02 10:02:09 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All M1 Garand
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Is an M1 Garand manufactured before 1946 C&R eligible?
    In the end, when you face the sort of crisis that requires a defensive firearm, the question isn’t so much, “Did you have the ideal gun?” The question is more, “Did you have a gun at all?”

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/9/02 10:19:45 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: M1 Garand
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    isn't the Garand one of the rifles specifically mentioned in the C&R list by ATF?

bondai
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/9/02 10:59:34 am)
    Hey Fred how ya doing?

This is the only reference I can find from the ATF's C&R list pertaining to MI Garand's.

"Springfield Armory, Inc., Korean War Commemorative .30 cal., MI Garand Rifle S/Ns from KW0001 to KW1000."

I think this reference covers it though.

"All Original military bolt action and semiautomatic rifles mfd. between 1899 and 1946"

I just don't want to give someone some bad info. There seems to be grey areas in this C&R list.

In the end, when you face the sort of crisis that requires a defensive firearm, the question isn’t so much, “Did you have the ideal gun?” The question is more, “Did you have a gun at all?”

silv71
    (3/9/02 12:24:51 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del M1 Garand
    Yes, the Garand is C&R elgible. I have received two thru my C&R.

jeeper1
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/9/02 1:45:27 pm)
    As I understand it all garands except those dated 1957 are C&R.
    The Curio and Relic Firearms Forum
    To err is human. But to really screw things up you just about have to have a computer.

bondai
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/9/02 3:49:21 pm)
    Thats the way I read it but I always like to bounce a question off a couple of folks before I jump in with both feet. Thanks

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/10/02 12:29:04 pm)
    Bondai, the Garand IS specifically on the CR list...you just weren't looking far enough...check "U.S."...

"U.S., Rifle, cal.30 M1, original military issue only, produced prior to 1956."

I have NO idea why 1957s aren't, does anybody?

"It's only money..."

Edited by: polishshooter at: 3/10/02 12:33:44 pm

gun runner john
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/10/02 7:15:08 pm)
    And nobody added the fact that ANY gun manufactured over 50 years ago is automagically a C&R gun. That is the first criteria that is mentioned before the "or".

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/10/02 8:25:12 pm)
    So 1957 Garands become automatically CR after 2007...

But then again GRJ, why don't we ever see ANY Ak-47s listed as CR? Seems to me there were quite a few made between 1947 and 1952...and even if select fire would be CR with the NFA tax paid, just like a 1919A1 or a Ma Deuce.....or for that matter FNFALs....CETMEs...etc....

That "pre-46" for the military arms still troubles me....

Will that mean M14s start as CRs in 2007 and beyond too?
    M60s, when were they first adopted, late 50s?
    M79s, LAAWS and M16s in about 2014 or so and on?

HHHhhmmm....
    "It's only money..."