M1 Garand

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by billfer, Nov 5, 2008.

1. billfer

billfer New Member

Well I got a nice bonus at work, an am going to goto CMP next week and get a M1 garand and about 2K rounds. I already reload a few rifle rounds.

What bullets/powder/primers would work great for reloading I use the lyman and Speer books and Winchester website for most of my data.

Who does good bullets? Size and wt plz. An powder.

It needs to be ball powder My RL 550 loves that stuff, AN I already stock Win 748 for my .223 loads. Info please, help save a loader some troubles $$$$ and time. please post loads you use in M1 garands.
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

billfer:

To me reloading for an M1 Garand is somewhat contraversial. There are sources (Accurate Arms reloading manual) that specify particular powders for the gas operated M1 so as to protect the gun and make it function reliably. Apparently they feel that some powders have too sharp of a pressure curve for semi-auto gas guns and make up loads that are suppose to presurve the gun and better match original GI ammo.

On the other hand I have two M1 Garands that I reload for. I use FMJ 150 or 147 grain bulk bullets from either Winchester or Remington (whichever I can get). I use standard rifle primers. I crimp the cases with the Lee Factory Crimp Die. I have tried H335 and H414 and like the accuracy results from the H414 best. The H414 is a slow powder compared to those recommended by AA in their special reloading section for gas operated semi-auto rifles but it works fine for me. The load level is milder than a max load at 55 grains and both my M1's like it fine. But there is always the thought in my mind that my choice of powder is not in the same class as AA's 2015BR, 2230, 2460, 2495, 2495BR, 2520 or 2700 (see page 333 of their reloading manual Number One). H335 is a closer choice and I did try it but went with H414.

Both H335 and H414 are ball powders and feed through my Dillon RL550B powder measure excellent where as tubular shaped long cut powders do not. With the above clearly noted I hesitate to recommend my choice because it is contraversial, but you choose. One of the AA powders may feed well through the powder measure and give good accuracy. I choose to not go that way as I already have too many different powders on hand now and don't need to add more. Besides AA powder is not as readily available to me as Hodgdon powders. Perhaps a better choice (but not for me) would be H335 as it is much closer to the burning rate of the AA powders but it may be more about double based powders verses single based powders than just burn rate (????). I know what is working for me and you need to choose based on your judgement, not mine.

LDBennett
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  3. billfer

billfer New Member

Thank you for the info. I have a small supply of H335 thta is use to reload 7.62x39. An I do like the way it performs, an I can keep my powder selection down.
  4. billfer

billfer New Member

I just got back from the CMP. I think at current prices I will just buy ammo it will save a ton vs reloading (for now).

However A new problem has appeared. I am down to my last 100 rounds of ammo for my Aussie SMLE mk1 #3 1941. I checked around and all the surplus is GONE.

Anyone sitting on a none over priced pile of .303 and willing to part with some?