M1 Garand

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Celraysoda, May 14, 2009.

1. Celraysoda

Celraysoda New Member

Looking to reload for my M1. Anybody have any good tested and proven specs on bullet grain and powders? I understand IMR 4895 is the way to go. What is a good mold to use if I would want to cast my own bullets? I'm asking due to the horror stories of exploding Garands.

Thanks.
    Last edited: May 14, 2009
  2. NuJudge

NuJudge New Member

Before you pick a load, what do you want to do with the ammo: plinking, informal target shooting, or formal target shooting?

The CMP Greek surplus is probably the cheapest source of .30-'06 ammo still, probably cheaper than jacketed bullet handloads for most people. What they still have comes on clips. I have had some minor issues with the Greek clips, but only minor.

Look at the bottom of this site for jacketed bullet loads:
    http://radomski.us/njhp/

For cast bullet loads, look on the Cast Boolits website.
  3. Celraysoda

Celraysoda New Member

Thanks for the info. Informal target shooting for now. I have some other match set aside for competition. Greek surplus is great stuff but there has been a lot of demand now and my local place is out and cannot get it anymore. I was paying $11 per box of 20 of M2 ball.
  4. Celraysoda

Celraysoda New Member

I read on Boolits that there is a great reload spec for the M1 garand by BobS but cannot find it. Any help from a copy and paster would be much appreciated!

-Thanks.
  5. Celraysoda

Celraysoda New Member

I also see that Lyman has a nice selection of .30 Cal molds. Anybody have experience with any of them in an M1?
  6. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I use a Hornady 168 grain A-Max bullet pushed by 42.5 grains of Varget Powder. I have never chronographed them but the Hornady manual say they travel at 2400 fps. Hornady has a section for the M1 Garand rifle.

I cast handgun bullets but have never used cast in a rifle, don't much like the idea of digging lead from the rifleing.
  7. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I too have never used cast bullets in my Garands. I am told (???) that any gas operated gun with a gas hole in the barrel is problematical with cast bullets. It appears the hole can clog with lead bits sheared off the lead bullet as it passes over the hole. I don't know if ths is true but it sounds correct. I don't cast either so I have no way or desire to test it.

I have been told by a well know gunsmith that the 22LR conversion used on the AR15 produce this problem if you don't keep the gas hole blown out by regular returns to 223 ammo. Sounds like a solution to me for the use of cast bullets in the Garand. Just follow a cast bullet shooting session by a group from jacketed ammo before you put the gun away or regularly remove the gas block and clean the hole in the barrel with the correct twist drill (by hand).

LDBennett
  8. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

LD, I've wondered about that. I remember, many years back, when I got my Ruger Deerslayer, being told (by Ruger) not to shoot cast bullets in it because it was gas-operated. But I hear of people shooting them in Garands and Carbines. I like the thought, especially now that jacket bullets are running close to a quarter each. But I don't want to hurt my guns.
  9. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    I've just made it my standard practice to shoot only jacketed bullets in semi-auto firearms, and especially gas operated ones. I have enough trouble with copper frouling in the barrel, I don't need lead fouling on top of that. Any of the 168 grain BTHP bullets will work well in a Garand but I've found that the Sierra 175 grain MK will give the best performance. I also really like the Nosler 165 grain BT. 4895 is considered the standard powder but any number of others work well also; 4064, Varget, etc. Don't use 4350 or similar slow burning powders, they can dammage the Garand's gas system.
  10. firewrench044

firewrench044 New Member

I to have heard that cast bullets in a garand can cause problems
    so I have avoided them

very good load in my Garands and 1903A3 is--

LC case
    155gr Sierra Pala
    45.7gr IMR 4895
    CCI # 34 Primer
    COAL -- 3.300
  11. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Most every semi-auto centerfire commercial or military rifle was designed to use jacketed bullets. It seems counter to the design to shoot cast bullets (??). so I don't shoot cast bullets in them.

I rarely if ever shoot cast bullets at all. I actually shoot Rainier plated bullets, or Winchester or Remington bulk jacketed bullets in all my handguns to avoid leading up the barrels. I know, there is a very big following of cast bullets and the barrel last longer (it says here?), but I have never had anything but leaded up barrels with raw cast bullets. And with the Garand it makes no sense at all, to me. That's my opinion and yours may differ.

LDBennett
  12. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

LD, I do agree with you. I shoot a lot of Rainier and Berry's plated bullets, but I do cast bullets for every handgun I shoot and for my 45/70 but would never contemplate shooting any in my Garand.
  13. Celraysoda

Celraysoda New Member

Thanks for all the advice. I was wary as well but heard a few success stories. Figured it's just not worth it with all the surplus still available to refer to casting for the Garand. I'll look for the Sierra Palma, it will be difficult in my area but there is always mail order....

-Thanks.