m1870 rifle

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by gunfreakboy, Aug 24, 2006.

1. gunfreakboy

gunfreakboy New Member

I just got this one a couple of hours ago. I did some brief web research and came to the conclusion that it is an m1870 rifle but I really know nothing about it.It is stamped torino inside an oval. Also has fancy P.P. stamped on barrel. Apparently date 1883 stamped too. The serial # ca8973 is matching on stock and barrel. The wood is cracked on both sides near the bolt and bore is very dusty and dirty. Here are some pics. Does it have any value. I don't think I would try to fire it either. Thanks. I am unsure how to resize pics so it may take awhile to post them.
  2. gunfreakboy

gunfreakboy New Member

3. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Well, the photo was too small to be of any use.

The "Torino" stamped on it leads me to believe it might be a Model 1870 Vetterli Carbine produced under license in Italy. They were made in both the Brescia and Torino arsenals. Caliber was 10.35x47Rmm.

Can you post a larger photo, full length?
  4. gunfreakboy

gunfreakboy New Member

Sorry I didn't reply right away, but I took a trip to drop my daughter at college this weekend. I still can't get pic resize figured out, but the rifle is identical to this link http://www.militaryrifles.com/Italy/ItalVetVitali.htm#Vecci-Pattern Sight
    but in not nearly as good of shape. I would rate it maybe 70%. Barrel length is approximately 33.5 inches. Overall length about 53". Stock is stamped lightly with seal and number ca8973. Barrel also stamped ca8973 as well as 1883 on other side. 1883 in center of artiga pab d armi emblem which is barely readable. The extractor is attached to bolt which is pretty loose when open. It is missing the cleaning rod and the stock is split on both sides abovr the trigger. I hope the link works and thanks for the reply Xracer.
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2006
  5. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Well, I was pretty close. :) In the small photo it looked as if it might have been the carbine.

According to the Standard Catalog of Military Firearms the value is:

Exc. - $700
    V.G. - $600
    Good - $500
    Fair - $$250

From your description, it sounds like yours might fall into the "Good" category.
  6. gunfreakboy

gunfreakboy New Member

Marlin T showed me how to resize pics so here goes

Attached Files:

7. gunfreakboy

gunfreakboy New Member

other 2

Attached Files:

8. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

I've seen PICTURES in books, but this is the first time I saw a pic of a REAL LIVE one...:p

I must be living right, I did a bunch of web research years ago for a guy who had a 11.45 Werndl, NEVER even knew what one was but did when I was done, but STILL never saw a REAL one until the last Indy 1500 show...and there one WAS! When I asked the guy if I could "Look at his Werndl" he looked impressed that I even knew what it WAS!:p:D

Just WHERE did you stumble on this beauty?

And thanks for sharing it with us....
  9. gunfreakboy

gunfreakboy New Member

My daughters boyfriend gave it to me. I think as a peace gesture as I have nearly beaten his A at one time. I really know little about it and was thinking of getting an idea of value for possible trade/sale at next months gun show. I like the idea of collecting but really like something that I can shoot and am not sure if that would be possible let alone getting ammo. I have had ak-47 on my mind for quite some time now. If it wasn't for Marlint we wouldn't be seeing these pics today. Any more info would be greatly appreciated.
  10. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Ok Gun you can look but you can't touch :p :)

Attached Files:

11. gunfreakboy

gunfreakboy New Member

Can I drool?
  12. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

13. wvarchie

wvarchie New Member

[​IMG][/IMG]I have a Brescia Made in 1883. it is stamped on the Stock and Barrel (NP 2041) Under the sight is a Fancy P.P. as well. The stock is not cracked, you can still shot it as it is not missing anything and it is in sound shape!! Does anyone know anything else about this gun? The worth, origin?? I will try to upload my photos.Where is the Serial Number located?[​IMG][/IMG]