M1911's and small hands

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 7, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

M1911A1user
    (6/12/01 6:50:48 pm)
    Reply M1911's And Small Hands
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Even though I have hands that are 2 or 3 standard deviations out from the norm on the low side when it comes to size, the 1911 fits it much better than most pistols or revolvers. Having just said that, I'm wondering if it could be made to fit better still.

I currently have a curved mainspring housing and deep grip safety. I would like to get a set of Chip McCormick "Slim Carry" grips. Has anyone tried a set ?

I would also like to find a shorter trigger. Mine has 3 holes drilled in it (I assume to make it lighter) and I'm thinking that I would like to find one machined back slightly behind where those holes end. Is there any reason why this item would be hard to find. I haven't seen one yet - except on Ed Brown's web site for Hi Capacity type 45's. Would the functioning of the pistol be affected in any way with a shorter trigger? I can't see how it would as long as no more than 1/8 to 3/16 was removed.

Any comments/advise/ideas would be welcome.

TIA

M19

LIKTOSHOOT
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (6/12/01 7:31:27 pm)
    Reply Re: M1911's And Small Hands
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The slimmer grips are offered by several manufactures, including Wilson, and believe it or not...they make a big difference. Triggers are also available, with some being square cut it the front for a better finger pad purchase...can`t remember who has them, but will hunt a little later if my mind can stand it.....becoming feeble LTS

Xracer
    (6/12/01 8:22:47 pm)
    You might want to try a flat mainspring housing too. I have Pachmayrs on both my carry .45s. They're rubber (or neoprene) covered with a diamond pattern.....very comfortable & grippy.

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (6/12/01 11:04:31 pm)
    1911, replace the arched mainspring housing with a flat one.That should solve your problem without replacing the trigger. King's makes a short trigger if needed.

gun runner john
    (7/8/01 2:38:01 pm)
    Shucks, you can't get a word in edgewise here, the moderators all jumped in and used up all the good answers!

Flat mainspring housing, slimmer grips, and the short trigger are the things I'd suggest, probably in that order. I also have pretty small hands, and I find the 1911 fits me better than most other pistols, especially many of the DA models.

hammer4nc
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/8/01 3:23:38 pm)
    a1user,

Are you familiar with Brownell's? They publish a catalog of gun parts that weighs about 5 lbs...pretty extensive. I like to shop on their website, it has a good catalog search, and the company has good delivery customer service, and tech support if you need it. All the parts mentioned above are available, and can be on your doorstep in 2-3 days.

www.brownells.com

PS This is an unsolicited plug...I don't work for brownells.