M1918 Browning Automatic Rifle

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by PioneerSPL1990, Oct 28, 2010.

1. PioneerSPL1990

PioneerSPL1990 New Member

i've always had a strong liking of these, never held one personally, just wanted to get any opinions from anyone that has, iirc they weight a ton, my question is, is there anywhere that sells semi-automatic versions similar in design and look, the modern BARs are completely different in design imo.[​IMG]
    Swedish Kg m/21 variant:
    [​IMG]
  2. PioneerSPL1990

already stated

edited.
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Ohio Ordnance makes (or they did a few years ago) a semi version.
  4. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

Alpo is correct i just checked the ohio ord. web site they still sell the semi-auto madel 4000.00
  5. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Got to shoot a full auto one in 1991. Extremely controlable in the prone,not so much from the hip. Most fun I have ever had in the military. The Col. that ran the range at Camp Lejuene would bring out his ''toys'' once a year for a shoot and if you knew the right people you could have a blast.
  6. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

after re-visiting the ohio ord web site i've come to the conclusion i have to have one. so i'm selling off a couple of colt saa, and a sig p210 for the funds , i've always wanted one and no time like the present. 5 years ago they were under 2000.00 :mad:
  7. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The Ohio Ord guns are close copies of the original BAR except that they fire from a closed bolt and the internal mechanism is somewhat different. It is unfortunate that FN chose to call it's semi-automatic sporting rifle the "BAR", confusing many people, including some writers in the gunzines (not hard to confuse many of those folks, though). Someone once said the Holy Roman Empire was not holy, not Roman and not an empire. The FN BAR is not a Browning and not automatic, though it is a rifle.

Jim
  8. PioneerSPL1990

ouch.

i want one too, but just haven't had the urge to drop that kinda cash on a gun. still dealing with car-audio phase, gotta have the best system in town and still give people a run for their money at statewide competitions.
  9. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

If 4 grand for a semi seems high, you can always get a full one. They're probably only around 18.
  10. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

placed the order last saturday expected delivery date 12/15... and i got a bargin 3767.00 out the door with 4 additional magazines. wife isn't happy but then again she rarely is :D
  11. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Is that December 15, or December of 2015?

Shiloh Sharps has a lead time like that, so I wondered.
  12. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

that is next month.... i don't think i'd wait until 2015 on second thought maybe i would , i did wait 3 years for my simmerling
  13. Jim K

Jim K New Member

An interesting point about the "real" BAR. They are heavy and have a heavy barrel. The result is that they are so accurate that they did not work well as a light machinegun. There was little point in putting 20 bullets through an enemy soldier's third jacket button, which the BAR would do. So the army moved the bipod to the front of the barrel to spoil the accuracy and spread the blessings around a bit more.

Jim
  14. Gunner Snipe

Gunner Snipe New Member

I have a friend that got one this summer. He had a little trouble getting it zeroed but now he shoots it in the local club's 200 yard service rifle and 300 yard bench rest matches. He is very competitive with it as it is a very accurate rifle (and he is a very good shot.).
  15. Old Steve

Old Steve New Member

The real problem militarily for the BAR was the weight and the lack of a field replacable barrel, I guess they get shot out fairly fast in combat, but it sure would be fun to have one.