M1A load

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Dave3, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Dave3

Dave3 New Member

I'm looking for a good M1A load. I have shot a lot of surplus ammo and the gun shoots ok. I'm wanting to do some hand loads to see how good the old girl will shoot. Have you tried to find 308 brass lately? lol Thanks for your input.
  2. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

Hey Dave

I've had really good luck with the loads listed in the Hornady manual when working up loads for my M-1A. I've been using 168 grainers, Varget & IMR-4895. My M-1A is the standard model with the regular trigger & I've added a 3-10 power scope. I havn't yet gotten to an MOA group at 100 yards but I'm close. For my brass I have tons of NATO surplus ammo that I've used the empties with good luck. I also have 400 Federal match cases that I've used for the accuracy loads. My eyes are getting old & tired so I don't know if I'll ever get to MOA with this gun:)

Regards
    Brad
  3. NuJudge

NuJudge New Member

I don't shoot M1A much anymore, but when I did, I used the 168gr Sierra, 39.5gr IMR 4895, and Federal or Winchester primer, all in LC brass.

Make sure you full-length size for easy chambering and have primers slightly below flush.