1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

M1A or CAR

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by 45Smashemflat, Oct 23, 2003.

1. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat Active Member

Folks,

I'm on the horns of a delima. I've got an older Pre-Ban AR 15 in CAR configuration. Box stock, just like it came from Colt. Been shot a good bit. Nice fun gun. I am contemplating a swap for a Pre-Ban M1A.

Why? I prefer the .308 to the .223 - helps me consolidate my ammo supply.

What does the board think? Given similar condition, should I be looking at a even swap? Is the M1A worth more?

Am I just nuts?
  2. warpig

warpig Guest

I think your Colt is worth more. Based on what I see pre-ban Colts selling for and what I paid for my pre-ban M1A.
  3. The Greek

The Greek New Member

Not for nothing,reguardless of the price.The CAR is considered an assult weapon.The M1A is considered a battle rifle(in the state I'm in CT) and to my knowledge assult weapons are considered bad but according to the state ,there are no restrictions on battle rifles ....YET. Does it make sense of course not but ......thats all I have to say on that.
  4. stash247

stash247 New Member

Personally, I like the FAL/SLR, in all their configurations.
    As a defense/survival rifle, ask yourself; .308, .223, which hurts worse?
    You can buy .308 in case lots, Hirtenberger, Radway, or South Agfrican, for 150/ case,and it shoots like match ammo in my guns.
    The M-1A/M14SA would get my vote!
  5. 45Smashemflat

We are aligned on the .308 versus .223. I bought the CAR back before all the hulabalu, so it would be easy to take the profit and run.

I like the FAL too, but I'm not sure whose is best. Kind of like a G3, there are so many out there.

I shot a M21 a bunch in the Army, so I'm partial to the M1A.

I've been slowly managing my "inventory" to get down to a few select calibres. The CAR is the only .223 on the list.
  6. stash247

stash247 New Member

Amen.
    How can you bring "too much gun" to a serious social event?
    Should it turn out to be not serious, or not social, again, how could you bring" too much gun"-it don't take any more horsepower to take it home.
    But , on the flipside, would you really be serious at 600+ yds with a .223?
    Do you want a collectible, or a shooter?
  7. 45Smashemflat

Most definitely a shooter - but I want good accuracy. I'm a little leary of the Norinco copies. I shoot a Blaser LRS a good bit, so my long range accuracy standards are pretty high.
  8. suryevor

suryevor Guest

223's OWN the 600 yd line at the matches

(Service Rifle) and have done so for many years. Where have you been, man? The Berger 80 gr vld match bullet is like .430 BC, and can be started at about 2800 fps in a 24" barrel, it still has well over 500 ft lbs remaining at 600 yds. In other words, it hits as hard at 600 yds as a 4" 357 Mag revolver does at 5 ft. Where would you rather have a "failure to stop", at axeswinging ranges or at 600 yds, hmm?
  9. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Ya gotta keep the Colt AR and add the M1A to the Club!...;)

'Course that said i've got ta get busy and add another since i've dun let these fellers slip on down the road...:(

Attached Files:

10. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

FN/FAL......DSA, trust me.....you will NEVER look back.

LTS
  11. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Always have...gunna go on a prowl for them fella's now!...;)
  12. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Course you can always go with a Herstal's FN/LAR. Got six of them puppies and would not trade for any M1A EVER! Have one each of the 4 models from Herstals which are metric and two Israeli inch models. If ya want pics, just ask! Match receivers on two if the Herstals!

Ah, Belgium, never a better weapon made!

The Mattie Matel specials just don't make it, in my book!
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2004
  13. suryevor

suryevor Guest

if u want a match rifle that will outreach

the FAL, under practical conditions, just get a match HBAR upper receiver group for the CAR lower. Simple, costs less, ammo costs less, and the gun and ammo remain lighter than the 308's, and you can get a .22 unit for foraging and quiet, low cost practice. The 308 guys cant, and if they could, it wouldn't be very realistic as to handling or recoil, and the POI wouldn't be close to 308's, or very consistent, even if you mark the chamber-barrel insert, (as to the hours of a clock) and carefully return it to the chamber with the same orientation each time.
  14. 45Smashemflat

InPlano - how 'bout those pics!! I'd like to learn more about the FAL. As I said earlier, I've got concerns about my ability to pick out a good one - there are so many out there.

Sorry .223 dude (suryevor) but I've got to make the switch to higher calibre. Its an inventory thing - I've got 3 different long gun calibres, and 3 different handgun calibres (+.22LR) just trying to consolidate. I like the 223, but it just doesn't pack the wallop out there like .308.

(hey, were are you in Plano, our HQ is out there...)
  15. suryevor

suryevor Guest

no, it's a "kidding yourself" thing. really

if it's combat, you aint hitting anybody, except by luck, at ranges beyond which a 223 works just fine. If it's longer ranges, especially on big game, you need something more like the 300 Win Mag.