The Firearms Forum banner

M1A vs AK-47

20K views 28 replies 16 participants last post by  ka64 
#1 ·
in a combat situation which is best. ive heard the M1A is more accurate and heavier but the AK is more reliable and lighter.

#2 ·
Reliability is the same IMO, M1A will kick the pants off of an AK for accuracy and ballistics. I've yet to ever have a jam with either the M14 or my M1A, many many rounds thru both. AK hasn't jammed yet either though, about 80k rds thru my first one.

AK's only advantage is size and mag capacity. (and cost)

#3 ·
The AK ain't no sniper rifle, but the M1 can be! CQB, the AK comes in first place between the two guns.

#5 ·
If I had the money I would own one of those type guns! They are great! .308 wouldn't be a bad choice in this gun either. While the .308 is not the same as the 7.62×51, it ain't that far behind!

#6 ·
I know, money is the only reason I don't have one yet! I'm saving up for a new M1A but will probably just get a scout I'm thinking. Next will have to be a bullpup or at least some version of the EBR. The military really needs to revisit the M14 more, it's the perfect battle rifle with a few mods, only on the furniture though. design/action is unbelievably solid.

Another disadvantage of the AK is the shape of the mags, makes it harder to carry and reload compared to a straight magazine.

#7 · (Edited)
The military is re-issuing the M14 to the troups in Afghanistan, they have the range advantage, the stopping power, and with optics they make good sniper rifles. Just like they are re-issuing the old .45 to the troups. They like the big bullets better! http://www.armytimes.com/news/2010/03/army_m14_032210w/

#8 · (Edited)
Hey Carver I think you posted a response to this thread under "SELLIER & BELLOT".

#9 ·
Hey Carver I think you posted a response to this thread under "SELLIER & BELLOT".
Yep! Don't know how I did that, but I fixed it, Thanks!

#11 ·
IMO the M1A and the Ak are in two very different leagues.

The M1A ia a battle rifle that is stable enough for precise aimed fire out to 800 yds, making it an effective sniper or countersniper weapon as well. The .308/7.62 NATO round its chambered for is ballistically superior in every way to the 7.62X39 of the AK.

The AK is an assault weapon. Intended for much shorter ranges where the precision of the weapon is less of a concern. The 7.62X39 round has much less recoil, making it easier to keep on target for follow up shots.

Either weapon in a trained hand could accomplish any task a battle rifle or assault weapon would be used for, the M1A however will do it with a greater margin of precision.

#12 ·
If I had the money I would own one of those type guns! They are great! .308 wouldn't be a bad choice in this gun either. While the .308 is not the same as the 7.62×51, it ain't that far behind!
I was under the impression that they are the same. The .223 and the 5.56 are different somewhat.
.308 is a hotter round than 7.62 NATO. Dimensionally they are identical. But weapons proofed for the 7.62X51 should not be fired with .308 ammunition.

#13 ·
.308 is a hotter round than 7.62 NATO. Dimensionally they are identical. But weapons proofed for the 7.62X51 should not be fired with .308 ammunition.
I will also note that the relation between the 5.56X45 and the .223 rem is similar, but backwards. The 5.56 being the hotter round and chamber specs for the 5.56 are different in that the chambers are cut with more leade and a more genrous neck area to accomodate dirty conditions commonly associated with a battlefield.

5.56 should not be fired in .223 rem chambers.

#15 ·
#17 ·
IMO, JLA is right. Apples and Oranges.

Cost, accuracy, and cleaning paradigms

are totally different.

Ergo, no comparison.

As to choice, and which would I choose?

When's the last time you heard of an "AK47" (really, AKM, guys)

jamming?

When's the last time you heard of someone field-stripping

and cleaning an M1 on the run, like you can with an AK?

Once again, no comparison...

#19 ·
IMO the M1A and the Ak are in two very different leagues.

The M1A ia a battle rifle that is stable enough for precise aimed fire out to 800 yds, making it an effective sniper or countersniper weapon as well. The .308/7.62 NATO round its chambered for is ballistically superior in every way to the 7.62X39 of the AK.

The AK is an assault weapon. Intended for much shorter ranges where the precision of the weapon is less of a concern. The 7.62X39 round has much less recoil, making it easier to keep on target for follow up shots.

Either weapon in a trained hand could accomplish any task a battle rifle or assault weapon would be used for, the M1A however will do it with a greater margin of precision.
Agreed, apples and oranges.

M1A, any place, anytime in any conditions.
Not IMHO, I wouldn't want an M1A in an 'in house battle' or CQB, big disadvantage .

#21 ·
M1 can reach out and touch someone time never had one jam . When I say reach out I mean really REACH OUT. I will take one anytime.
I agree again, I've never had malfunction with either of mine.

Last summer a friend and brother in law were shooting at the local club range. There's a row of 20 knock over steel target about 10" tall and 5" wide at 200 yards. With 20 rounds I was knocking over 18-20 of them shooting fast, if I took my time they all went down. My friend and BIL had their "reliable" AK's and with 20 rounds they were knocking over around 3 or 4 taking their time.:D They did hit a few more than 3 or 4 but they didn't fall over.

200 yards is nothing for the M1A but too far for those commie guns.;)

Mentioned above that the M1A isn't any good at close quarters fighting, I agree there are better choices. But those old guys that had M1 Garands (almost the same gun) did pretty good clearing all those Germans out of many towns between Normandy and Berlin. And the Germans had plenty of "better suited" small full auto rifles (assault rifles).

#22 ·
I wholeheartedly agree GunHugger. The M1A, Garand, Socom, Tanker Garand, all can be very effective CQB weapons. The Navys M14EBR is a perfect example of a battle ready CQB gun that doubles as a countersniper weapon. They just fit it with a folding stock to reduce its OAL for CQB.

#23 ·
The AK ain't no sniper rifle, but the M1 can be! CQB, the AK comes in first place between the two guns.
Yep, AKs are not accurate. M1s can be lights out accurate....and most are. Some can be supremely accurate though.

I doubt even the new AKs being produced by companies can compete with the M1. I would be interested to see how the new AK by Rock River Arms compares. I am sure it blows other AKs away, but how well it would compete with an M1 would be interesting.

#25 · (Edited)
Silly Army. For the same money they could have just gotten the LMT MWS .308 just like the Brits did, but you're right, this is a government project. Its better to spend $3000 ea on a 45 year old piece to make it too heavy to drag around.
Check your history. We already have M14. Brits don't really have an Army. Op has to do with Ak VS M1A1

#26 ·
Check your history. We already have M14. Brits don't really have an Army. Op has to do with AZ VS M1A1
Yes, true we had the M14 but they aren't being issued as they were. The military needed to update them with collapsible stock for use with body armor, rails for lights, bi-pods, lasers and scopes and the cost to update them is high.

M39 EMR (Enhanced Marksman Rifle)

Here's a little history;
http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/m14-enhanced-battle-rifle/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.