M39

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by porsche, May 7, 2008.

1. porsche

porsche New Member

hi guys (and gals). am new to this site. can anyone prioritize the desireability to collectors of the various Finnish M39 rifles.
  2. pawn

pawn Active Member

3. porsche

porsche New Member

thanks, pawn. great material.
  4. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

For shooters, they pretty much all shoot the same, that is SWEET compared to other MNs, I had a Valmet (VKT)for years that is the most common and thus cheaper but it shot every bit as well as any others I shot.

SAKO ones are pretty common too, although not as common as the VKTs, and in my opinion no better or4 worse than any, BUT that name seems to bring a premium on resale, kinda like Winchester Garands or Carbines....

"B" Barrels seem to be the ones every shooter prefers, although I have never shot one, there is also the controversy over what the "B" actually stands for, which is kind of neat to collectors.

Any rifle marked with the Civil Guard markings bring a premium as well, as do any "Sneaks" made in the 60s and 70s with no other markings.

And many times the actual Finish Army or Guard unit markings, or others, trump manufacturer when it comes to collectors.

Although SOG is listing some with 1970s markings, I don't see anywhere where they are called "Sneaks" so they MUST be, but I'm not sure.
  5. momo

momo Former Guest

Pawn,
    The m39 is one of the most accurate military bolt action rifles ever produced. If you can get your hands on a B barrell, get it. The bullet goes right where you aim the barrell, at least mine does. I have a Sako and a VKT and they are equally accurate, but the B barrell surpasses them by a little.
    Other tidbits on the m39 are if you can find one with a straight stock rather than the pistol grip, is going to cost a little more.
  6. pawn

pawn Active Member

Thanks for the information Momo. I will keep my eyes open for a B barrell.