1. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

My son got issued his Colt M4 in BCT and wrote me with the serial # and wondered if I could do research and find out when it was made so he had an idea how old it was and then could guess how many times it was rebuilt.

Does anybody know if there is any way of telling the date of manufacture from a military Colt M4?
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I don't think Colt ever released their military contract serial numbers and the data may be classified or at least "for official use."

I will say that weapons rebuilt by/for the military will be entirely serviceable and reliable. Not brand new, but plenty good for what they were made for.

Jim
  3. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Well we picked him up today and I confirmed it is an M4 and not an M4A1. Even though he hasn't been allowed to rock and roll with it yet, it has the 3 shot burst mode and not full auto so it is an older one from the original contract, since the a1s have full auto (back to the future anyone?)

I guess now it's just a WAG...does anybody know when did the contract with Colt go from the M4 to the M4A1?

Maybe I can give him a range of "no older than and no newer than..."

And it must not be too bad, he qualified expert with it...;)
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2009