1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

M4 Tank Engines

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by Guest, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/26/02 5:16:53 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All M4 Tank Engines
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Polish.....I know you'll enjoy this one.

The April issue of Road & Track has a writeup on your beloved M4 Sherman Tank and it's engines in "Tech Tidbits".

"The M4 General Sherman was the most important tank of World War II. Built by a variety of manufacturers----everyone from Ford to the American Locomotive Co.----the M4 also had a diversity of powerplants. An air-cooled 9-cylinder radial supplied by Wright was the most common, though sigfnificant numbers had pairs of supercharged inline 6-cylinder GMC diesels or whopping big (18.0 liter!) Ford V-8s.

The oddest Sherman power, though was the Multibank, also know as the "5-pack", a 30-cylinder array of Chrysler Windsor inline-6s (picture two straight 6s opposed with their crankshafts facing each other....then two inline 6s making a V-12 sitting on top of that, then a straight 6 in the middle of the V).

Each engine had it's own crankshaft, the five geared to a central output gear. Each had separate carburetion and ignition and a truly complex throttle linkage. It was said that the only time the five produced the same power was at idle.

An inline-6 exhibits perfect balance in both primary and secondary modes. And it's easy to see that V- or flat-12s would share these characteristics. However, my intuition fails me on the 5-pack. On the other hand, I suspect that smoothness of operation wasn't high in priority for this particular application.

By the way, there's a 5-pack on display at the Walter P. Chrysler Museum in Auburn Hills Michigan..."

How'd ya like to give that sucker a tune-up?

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/27/02 10:33:36 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: M4 Tank Engines
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Can you just imagine the looks of the Germans looking at a captured one?

I heard about the 5 pack before, but never knew how they were hooked up. That was the M4A4...but I have also read references that it had only 4 Chrysler engines hooked together...wonder if they had some with 4 and some with 5...

(And to tell you the truth, even WITH your description, probably still don't... )

The M4A2 with diesels had 2 bus engines mounted together, all were either given to the Free French, Polish, or the Marines, the Army didn't want to complicate fuel supply since everything wlse use gas, but the Marines loved them, since landing craft all used #2 diesel too...so fuel was no problem...and probably a heckuva lot safer to fuel up on board a ship with #2 than gas....

M4 and M4A1 had the Wright Whirlwinds, and the M4A3 had the Fords....
    "Don't hear him call you an ---hole, hear WHY he's calling you an ---hole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/28/02 10:11:22 am)
    Remember Micky Thompsons "Challenger 1" with 4 Hemi`s ?????
    T.F.F.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/29/02 11:41:49 am)
    Here's a 5-pack.......see picture #8.

www.kithobbyist.com/AFVIn...4fac3.html

And here's another....see picture #6

www.kithobbyist.com/AFVIn...4fac2.html

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/29/02 8:41:55 pm)
    Just out of curiosity wer those early Chysler six the predescessor tho the engine with the most longevity ever produced..................

The famous slant six.

My Lord those things will run FOREVER

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/30/02 10:13:00 am)
    My dad had a '47 Chrysler Windsor with that old Windsor 6 and the notorious (2-speed) Fluid Drive.....slowest thing away from a stoplight I've ever seen. Usta get out-dragged by school busses (and they weren't even trying)!

I had a neat little '64 Plymouth Valiant Signet Wagon, with a 225 slant six and a Hurst 4-speed......bright red, inside and out. Wish I still had that sweet baby.