M57 stuck magazine

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Cautious Bob, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Cautious Bob

Cautious Bob New Member

I just bought a nice-looking M57 Yugo (Zastava). My buddy and I took it to the range today. It was shooting fine for about 50 or 60 rounds, then after firing the last round in the magazine, instead of the slide locking open (as it should), it closed about halfway, and I could not retrieve the empty magazine.
    You can manually lock the slide open, but when you try to extract the magazine, it pulls (somehow) on the slide stop, allowing the slide to close. Only closes partially, though.
    I'm thinking maybe I just have a faulty magazine. Can't tell without getting it out.
    I'm prepared to disassemble but wanted to see if anyone else had same or similar experience before I start losing springs and stuff like that.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks, Cautious Bob
  2. Cautious Bob

Cautious Bob New Member

I fingered it out after looking inside the action about 10 times. There was a tiny piece of cosmoline-soaked thread hanging up on the underlip of the magazine follower; also stuck on slide stop pin.
    After extricating the rogue thread everyting works fine again.