M70 stock, rebuild it? Or scrap!!

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by da357mag, Jan 1, 2012.

1. da357mag

da357mag New Member

I talked about this rifle awhile back, had a trigger issue. Fixed that with a Rifle Basix replacement trigger and now that problem is good! Now the stock has some issues that need to be addressed. If you look at the pic it says a thousand words!

[​IMG],

If you look, you will see the channel has been "resined in" I'm guessing with fiberglass resin! It was to "bed the barrel since you can't get a hair between the barrel and the stock. Also the lug ares was done too, and most of that is gone.
    The action inletting is in good shape, and I am thinking about cleaning out the barrel channel and the lug area, and cut a bedding "pad on the tang, Then with the barrel wrapped with tape to center it in the channel, have it "rest on the tang wood and the tape in the barrel channel and hopefully this will give me a stress free bed for the lug ares and the tang to support the action. That's the idea any holes in this little boat I have built? If so I would like to know now before I get started! any input would be appreciated! Thanks in advance! and happy new year!;)
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

resin or resining in with gum resin ( as a athlete will use ) is common , but dated somewhat , it's "old school"

i use methylated spirits and a dash ( 1/2 a thimble to 1/2 a pint) or turpentine to remove it , if its glass resin it wont budge , but wont hurt it either ( i also use a dash of lighter fluid ;) be careful with it though , it'll go off with static .. )

put some on a clean rag and rub away , and see if its transferring to the rag

if so , keep goin, good luck ..
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  3. CHW2021

CHW2021 Active Member

I am not familiar with your previous post, what are the issues and how does the rifle shoot? I have 1 or 2 "odd" and ugly bedding jobs on rifles I picked up that have shot much better than they have a right to.
  4. da357mag

da357mag New Member

In the condition it's in now, I can't get any tighter than 2.5"to 3" groups. When I first got the rifle it had a trigger pull weight of 4.9 lbs!:eek: Some may like a trigger pull that heavy, but I don't. I replaced the trigger with a Rifle Basix adjustable unit and set it at 16 OZ.(Lyman trigger pull gauge) and that's much better. it's a 22-250 and that is the reason for the light pull. According to the S/N, the rifle was made in 1977(3.2 million), so who knows how many owners it has been through! I have thought about a new stock, but I think I would like to make it shoot like the one I had back in the 70s. It was a pre 64, and was in better shape! and I was allot younger too!lol! It would do 1.5" at 200 yards more often than not, but as I said it was in good shape and I had bought it from the man that had bought it new. BTW the groups shot were with Federal 55GR
    soft points, and also a few handloads I had tried. Don't have the info in front of me, but it was Varget and both 50 and 55GR poly tipped bullets. They were the smaller of the test shots I made, so I think this rifle has potential. Any ideas will be appreciated! Thanks. Doug