MAB Brevete Model D (made in france)

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by cadefoster, Oct 21, 2010.

1. army vet

army vet New Member

Hi;
    I just found the 7.65 Mab model D S/N 70559 that my Father in Law brought back from the war.
    It has the holster and two clips with additional ammo. The Holster has the Nazi Eagle holding a swastica in it's talons, under that it looks like W 8 AO20
    The gun has a similar mark after the S/N with some scratched in numbers and letters, the swastica is not visible on the gun. Any ideas of value? I also have the documents that the Army gave him to take the gun home. The grips are in really bad shape, should I change them or leave the originals? If I should change, where could I find them? I should also note, this gun has a chrome finish.
    Thanks for any help.
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  2. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

army vet, I am afraid the chrome plating destroys most of its value as a collectible. Collectors generally do not want refinished guns unless they are very rare, and the MAB D does not qualify on that score. That means its value depends on finding someone who wants a 70 year old, medium sized pistol in 32 Automatic as a shooter or as a re-refinishing project, which can be tough to do.

You should be able to find replacement grips easily. A lot of MAB D's came into the US in the 80's and 90's when French police departments surplussed them out, so parts and magazines are all over the place - like Ebay, for starters.
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Shazaman, that gun is not a MAB Model C or D. The picture in the original post shows a MAB Model D and the C is the same but with a shorter barrel. That gun looks like a Spanish pistol, but a better picture might help identify it.

Jim
  4. army vet

army vet New Member

Lanrezac;
    Thanks for your reply. I was hoping that the Chrome meant it ws an officers gun or something. I know that this is the way it was brought home. I can't believe he had it rechromed, and the chrome is quite worn. Is the old ammo safe? or should I discard it? I plan to shoot it after I have a gunsmith check it over.
  5. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

If the finish is "quite worn" it's probably nickel and not chrome. Good in focus pics of the markings should tell if it's been refinished.
  6. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

And if perchance it is nickle and original finish, it would not have German military acceptance marks.The Germans did not issue ( not even for Generals ) chrome or nickle plated guns, nor did any modern army that I am aware of.
  7. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

army vet, as Rjay said, no wartime MAB D would have been chromed originally. Having worn or beat-up guns chromed was quite common in the USA in the 1950's because of all the automobile bumper re-chroming shops around then.

Chrome is a rather white finish, very silvery. Nickel electro-plating is shiny, but a bit more yellowish. Nickel is actually a more common finish for pistols than bright chrome - except for wartime bring-backs, as I said above.

The old ammunition should be safe to use if it looks clean and un-corroded. I don't think anyone was making 7.65mm Browning / 32 ACP with corrosive primers, so the worst that should happen is a dud round. Just my $.02, of course.

PS - I should have said, if the holster is right, it might be worth more than the gun is now. There is quite a lively market for WWII holsters. You might want to put up a picture of it too.
    Last edited: May 1, 2012
  8. Dullahan

Dullahan New Member

Jim That MAB posted with the photo is not a standard pistol made in France (unless it is an extremely early model) because it does not have the safety feature built into the handle. The gun will not fire until this safety feature is depressed by the Grip. Some MAB's were made in Yugoslavia and there are models made elsewhere,
    Dullahan.
  9. army vet

army vet New Member

Thanks for the feedback. Here are a couple of Pix. Not my best work. Does anyone know what the mark is after the S.N ? It looks like a worn out nazi eagle w/o swastica. There are some numbers under it.

PISTOL 1.jpg

PISTOL 4.jpg

PISTOL 6.jpg

PISTOL 2.jpg
    Last edited: May 3, 2012
  10. army vet

army vet New Member

No comments on the pictures I posted?
  11. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I think your questions have been pretty well answered. The chrome/nickel finish is not original. The Germans took over many of those pistols and the eagle/swastika is the German acceptance stamp. The number is that of the WaA (Waffenamt) inspector whose team accepted the pistol for German service.

The gun is a shooter, with little collector interest. The ammunition might be corrosive in which case it will rust the barrel unless the barrel is cleaned right after firing.

Up until the mid-1930's almost all ammunition, including .32 ACP, was corrosive primed; after that, SOME commercial ammo was non-corrosive but almost all military ammo still used corrosive primers. Unless a box specifically says "non-corrosive", "sinoxid" or "nicorro" any ammuntion made prior to the 1950s should be considered possibly corrosive. (Even some late ammo, like 5.45x39 Russian, and some .303 British may be corrosive.)

Jim
  12. army vet

army vet New Member

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.
  13. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Active Member

thats the kind of holster my nazi proof marked one came in. it might be one that the nazi's captured and reissued. your pic is too small for me to see the mark.
  14. army vet

army vet New Member

The holster has a very clear stamping of an Eagle holding a Swastica in it's talons. I was wondering about the color, most I have seen were black. Does the Brown have any significance?
  15. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

I think the nickle plating looks good... if your going to use it and not trade it in for "value" do what you like it it... i have an early sn unit 24XXX type 1 and I'm going to overhaul the thing so my daughters can learn to shoot a pistol. and the nickel plating looks good... at least the slide.. ill have to photoshop it to see what i like best.