Mab Brevete Modele D

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by jbizzle69, Mar 15, 2010.

1. jbizzle69

jbizzle69 New Member

I have a very old .32 caliber pistol that ive inherited through my dads side of the family. My grandfather brought it back from France when he was there in WWII. I was wondering what it was worth because I was interested in selling it? Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  2. valbehaved

valbehaved Member

If the gun is Nazi proofed and in excellent(better than 95% original blue) condition- it should retail for about $400...
    If not Nazi proofed , but still excellent- you have a $250-300 item..
  3. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

The Pyrenees Unique Model 17 ( Kriegsmodel ) was the French handgun that the Germans kept in production for their own use. I don't believe the MAB was ever given a German procurement number but I have no doubt that a few few were stuffed into German holsters, with or without the owners consent.
  4. jbizzle69

jbizzle69 New Member

whats nazi proofed? and id say its in about the best shaped an old pistol like that could be in, theres no dings or cracks.
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I think valbehaved means German WWII property marks, which were an eagle and swastika. For some reason, those add value to some guns.

Jim
  6. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Another NAZI marking to look for is a "251" stamp. Had a French mle 1935A years back with that, but no Eagle or Swastika. Think they called that a "Waffenamps Stamp" (German military acceptance stamp)? That's a nice pistol.
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  7. OcelotZ3

OcelotZ3 Former Guest

The "brevete" part just means it's patented...
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Many thousands of the MAB Model D were made for the Germans and turn up with German Waffenamt stamps. At least one has the WaA inspector number of 251.

In fact, those MAB D's were about the only ones in the country until a few years ago when police surplus ones were imported in some quantity.

Jim
  9. OcelotZ3

OcelotZ3 Former Guest

Yes, the police surplus ones did come in a few years ago. I just bought one last year marked "Surete' Nationale".
  10. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The Heereswaffenamt - HWaA (Army Weapons Office) was charged with the inspection and acceptance of all ordnance materiel for the German army and some other organizations. The WaA number and accompanying stamps were assigned to an officer who was in charge of the inspection team at the factory. Of course, he did not stamp each part personally, though team members supervised the process. In fact the physical marking was normally done by contractor employees, with military personnel exercising control that ranged from loose to very tight depending on the circumstances and the reliability of the contractor employees.

If the team chief was reassigned, he took his stamps with him, and the appearance of a given number on the products of another factory can be used to trace his movements. Unfortunately, with very few exceptions, the actual names of those men are unknown.

Jim